Ilex Opaca, future carving subject

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
On Christmas day, I was at a relative's home and noticed this stump outside the garage. It was a 12'-15' tall American Holly, he wants it gone. It was cut down over a year ago.
I went back the next day and "root pruned it" by driving the long spade down, all the way around, had to chop a couple large ones. Hopefully this will encourage new root growth in the root ball over the winter. I will dig it up as soon as I can in spring. Hopefully it will survive the move, so I can let it become established in a container for a couple seasons, and then begin some surgery. Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks.
IMAG1486.jpg IMAG1489.jpg IMAG1487.jpg IMAG1490.jpg IMAG1492.jpg

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice shovel man, why aren't there shoots on the top, i think much of the top is death. Also this will take a long time to heal, it's so fat. Nice project, ill watch it.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think you're right, lots of dead wood there. I plan on getting it into a large wooden container and just letting it grow wild for a year or two, to build some branches. Then, I wanna hollow out the whole thing and hollow down one side, the side in the third pic, you can see the bark is peeling away. If I had any digital prowess, I'd make a cool virt. But this quick sketch kinda gets the point across.
And thanks!
IMAG1496.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Is that an accurate nebari sketch?

If so....nice!

Following the Brits for carving?

If so.....nice!

Sorce
I haven't seen the nebari yet. I know it's buried though. And, if you're referring to Graham Potter and some of his carving videos, yes. I find his work to be inspiring and beautiful.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah Harry Harrington too.....
And Bobbylane!

You pretty much have a blank canvass!
Wear goggles so you can see it when you're finished!

I can't wait!

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'll check out those two names. Thanks!
And yeah, blank canvas is what I saw. And an opportunity for some good experience.
Haha im no carving OR bonsai expert, so you wont find my name anywhere im afraid:)
Only my third year in bonsai!
The virt looks the way to go, really not many options in a dead straight stump apart from creating some interest with a shari or hollow. In time i'd reduce the height closer to the growth for a broom like canopy.
All i can say about carving is, look at whats around you, trees in nature..
IMG_8406.jpg

9339650-large.jpg

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, according to Jerry Melisk , [ google for his site ] it is very difficult to preserve the wood, even with epoxies / wood hardeners / plastics.
Water seeps in and the process starts.

You may wish to try and heal the tree. There is a way shown over on I believe Bonsai Empire on how to fold the live
cambium together and it grows back as a solid tree.
Wishing you all the best.
Good Day
Anthony

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
JWI...

You know Tona just snapped on that privet.....

Time to work bro!
Maybe not really....
But I'm looking forward to it!

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Does rotting wood on a living tree cause death of the rest of the tree?
Wouldn't the living parts keep living regardless of rot?

I don't know that I would be able heal this stump if I tried.
Possibly hollow it and fold like that van meer technique, but it would be much more extreme than anything he showed. This stump is about 6" across...would give crazy taper if it works! I may try it.

Top Bottom