Ilex Opaca? ... Now What ???

BobKat

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Things always look better in the woods, eh? Harvested these 3 & put them in pots a week ago until I hear from some of you folks. (Currently in a mix of some humus, pine bark mulch, 'good' potting soil, pebbles, etc.) Not sure what to do next (pretty new to this stuff).
It's the end of June in Southern VA. Do I let these 'rest' until a bit cooler weather before doing any 'chopping'/pruning/shaping? I like some of the natural twists in #2 & #3. #1 looks pretty strong. Not much root, though ... Have already removed some Large leaves & some damaged leaves.
Appreciate any help directing my next steps.

BobKat

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Don't know what happened to the photos that I attached to my original above ... ???
Will try to attach them to this ... Would help if I actually ticked the "Insert" button !!!
#1 - bare.jpg#1 - pot.jpg#2 - pot.jpg#2a - bare.jpg#2b - bare.jpg#3 - pot.jpg#3a - bare.jpg#3b - bare.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think you should let it rest until it shows signs of recovery.
There are not a lot of roots, so it might not survive at all. If it does, I'd wait for another year at least before cutting off anything and wait at least for signs of strong growth before wiring.

The substrate choice is a bit unconventional, so make sure you watch your watering; let it go a tad bit dry before watering again.

Keep in mind that it's alright to dig a tree with soil and all and jam that into a pot of pumice. It increases the chances of survival considerably.

Top Bottom