Ilex "Red Beauty"

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I picked one up at the depot yesterday, red pot.
I'll add some pictures later today when I get home, forgot to take them last night.

It's like an Ilex Opaca, with the spiky leaves and red berries.
But it's a hybrid test tube tree...http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/564/red-beauty-holly/

They have very small leaves compared to the native Ilex Opaca and is much more dense in its growth habit, and the leaves are darker in color, at least this time of year.

The one I got shows some nice taper already, and I'm glad to have it.

Anyone else out there try these yet?!?
I'm determined to make a bonsai out of one of these, I'd like a larger Opaca specimen like my first one....which was a very beefy stump that I dug from a landscape.... didn't survive.
But this cool hybrid will do.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Pics or it didn't happen !!!

Wooo!!!

Lol.

I love ilex and starting to study the hardier cultivars with my move up here.

I love yaupon one of my favorite trees. I'm borderline on their zone though.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
OK....whew!.....long day....sorry to leave you hanging for so long....
Here she be!
Foliage:
IMAG4084.jpg
I love the deep green color!!!
Look how small!
IMAG4085.jpg

Taper anyone?
I want to grow this one out to thicken it up a bit, but this one was the only one, out of 2 dozen or so, that had any taper at all....can't wait to dig down and see what's there!
IMAG4086.jpg
IMAG4087.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I hear that they dont like to be root pruned very much which is why they are usually passed over as bonsai but I dont see why not, has alot of pros going for it. Im interested in what lurks below the soil too!

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
NICE!!!! Healthy too, always good

No hefty scars on the lower trunk either.

I love the hunt, and hey digging through the foliage of 24 of these is always a blast!

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hear that they dont like to be root pruned very much which is why they are usually passed over as bonsai...
Mine is an American Holly I believe. Maybe different but 2 of them yanked out by a truck and tossed out to me March 2016. Planted one in the ground and wanted to see what the other one would take. Both still living. LOL The stump in the bottom of a milk crate surprised me.
This one could handle the root work. Long way to go... but healthy. First pic as delivered, next day 3/16 and recient.
New Image.JPG IMG_20160309_104229024.jpg IMG_20171024_130959539.jpg
I also have Ilex Glabra entered in winter games.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hmmm makes me wonder about picking up these really nice Evergreen hollies at a garden center near me, two feet tall with 9 inch trunks for 50 buck, too bad theyre not 'red beauty' haha

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hmmm makes me wonder about picking up these really nice Evergreen hollies at a garden center near me, two feet tall with 9 inch trunks for 50 buck, too bad theyre not 'red beauty' haha
Yes, do it....said the little devil on your left shoulder....

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Mine is an American Holly I believe. Maybe different but 2 of them yanked out by a truck and tossed out to me March 2016. Planted one in the ground and wanted to see what the other one would take. Both still living. LOL The stump in the bottom of a milk crate surprised me.
This one could handle the root work. Long way to go... but healthy. First pic as delivered, next day 3/16 and recient.
View attachment 170479 View attachment 170480 View attachment 170482
I also have Ilex Glabra entered in winter games.
Yeah! Killer! Nice....

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I put the top soil back for now....

Removed 2 major trunks, 2 major branches, and 3 small oddly placed branches.

I was first thinking pine style, informal upright....and I'm still thinking that...
Although the more I looked at the picture that I "painted" on, I think it could also be a fuller, more deciduous looking tree, with several apices...(or apexes depending on what you read).
We'll just see how this cookie crumbles...

Anyway, the red trunk line is the main trunk line.
The blue one is staying for now to help close the wounds I made, but could stay in the future too, depending on how the wind blows.
I blacked out the low right branch in the pic because I removed it already.
The others will be side branches...
And there is a back branch there too that you can't really see.

Thoughts??
IMAG4170.jpg
IMAG4171.jpg
IMAG4173.jpg
IMAG4173_1.jpg

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I love thinking!!

hmm

Keeping the red as the trunk line, I see what could be some reverse taper issues in the near (near, in bonsai terms) future. I'm looking at the section that is horizontal almost between the red and blue lines. Maybe I'm wrong or don't see it right........

Hard without the tree in person but from the pics, I'm seeing a nice line and taper if you were to keep the blue section as the new trunk line and remove the right side...

arghh wish I had photo editing software on this chromebook! I'll be back with a virt so it makes some sense

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sorry it's grainy I took a pic of the screen was way faster lol....

But I see something like this with some bending and more refinement / branch removal and re- growth but something along these lines for this guy.

Maybe too small for your vision for it?

What do you think?

20180101_223601.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

But I see something like this with some bending and more refinement / branch removal and re- growth but something along these lines for this guy.

What do you think?

View attachment 172819
We'll that's sort of what I'm thinking, but I'd rather keep the red trunk instead of the blue....
Reason being that, due to the root base and overall movement of the tree, I like it moving to the right.

I'm keeping red and blue for now, because between them is where I made the one large cut, removing 2 main trunks.

Now, it shouldn't swell up there, because I've narrowed it down to only 2 leaders....but time will tell.

I appreciate the time/input thanks!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

What do you think?

View attachment 172819
Maybe more like this trunk line to build off of. It's almost more like slanting style....I'll play with potting angles too when repotting time gets here.
IMAG4173_2.jpg

Top Bottom