Fl_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This is my first time / post on here so bare with me lol . I have collected this witch I believe to be a ilex schillings “vomitoria” . Now my question is how hard can I cut it back to make it manageable ? Can I take basically all the foliage off? As the way it’s grown I feel windswept would be best style for it I’m open to suggestions. Just this things too damn big length wise .. ps it was collected today . An I know I know the damn trash cans in the back 🤫 it’s here until I know if I can cut it back pretty hard or have to leave some foliage on it ! Thanks in advanced

64137E9F-DC93-4A94-B0AD-209B83C5BACD.jpeg7BA7664C-6271-427B-A401-7E984C156CAD.jpeg3876E0F4-8736-44AE-A2A7-7C6C11DCF315.jpeg4C0652FD-308A-460E-ADC5-832A7D742059.jpeg25A8CB51-F95F-4A4F-9E69-99D6D374A047.jpeg

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You can more or less bare root these down here if dug at the right time and proper after care is given. Same for the tops. Do note though, large cuts are slow to heal if AT ALL. The wood tends to rot faster than the wound can close leaving large hollows to deal with years down the road. So If you plan on using whats left after you cut, be sure to seal your cuts with something, I use elmers wood glue alot and its cheap. Bonsai cut paste works fine too.
These are two I dug up with some club members earlier this month. Each weighing in a little over 100lbs, they are absolute monsters. From the last close up picture you can see they are already responding to the cut back and dig with new deep red colored growth. Hope this helps ease your nerves as to if your doing this right.
20200104_103045.jpg20200115_101048.jpg20200115_101051.jpg20200115_101128.jpg

Fl_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You can more or less bare root these down here if dug at the right time and proper after care is given. Same for the tops. Do note though, large cuts are slow to heal if AT ALL. The wood tends to rot faster than the wound can close leaving large hollows to deal with years down the road. So If you plan on using whats left after you cut, be sure to seal your cuts with something, I use elmers wood glue alot and its cheap. Bonsai cut paste works fine too.
These are two I dug up with some club members earlier this month. Each weighing in a little over 100lbs, they are absolute monsters. From the last close up picture you can see they are already responding to the cut back and dig with new deep red colored growth. Hope this helps ease your nerves as to if your doing this right.
View attachment 280368View attachment 280369View attachment 280370View attachment 280371
Wow thank you for some relief! Haha okay I’ll be taking it back quite a bit then so once I get it set it I can let it be for a season or 2 . This was dug up in my yard here in Florida , (House was built in the 50s) and from what I understand this is original landscape. So it should be pretty old! I was told between now an the end of February was the right time do collect so I did just that . One more thing after all this can it go back out into direct sunlight?

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just another good to know tip with these I've picked up working with them is to be mindful when wiring. Older wood tends to be on the brittle side.

Fl_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Just another good to know tip with these I've picked up working with them is to be mindful when wiring. Older wood tends to be on the brittle side.
Much appreciated 🤘🏼 I’m mostly use to working with ficus species so definitely a difference to keep in mind .

Fl_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Welp it’s cut back , potted , chopsticked, watered , and all cuts sealed . Hope it takes. Ol lady’s going to kill me once she realizes there’s a bush missing 🤣😅

Attachments

• 4DE2562D-7CC8-40D5-9C73-449A7507ECD3.jpeg
    4DE2562D-7CC8-40D5-9C73-449A7507ECD3.jpeg
    391.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 72977688-8636-4ECB-A7C6-007AADA54D01.jpeg
    72977688-8636-4ECB-A7C6-007AADA54D01.jpeg
    420.8 KB · Views: 32
  • E07B810D-7CCE-4572-995A-FAEAA67A283E.jpeg
    E07B810D-7CCE-4572-995A-FAEAA67A283E.jpeg
    424.1 KB · Views: 34
  • F4CB0B32-9EDE-4E9A-88DF-FDADDF90DCA5.jpeg
    F4CB0B32-9EDE-4E9A-88DF-FDADDF90DCA5.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 50

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yeah, there's no green left on it to dry out in full sun so whatever comes out will be adjusted to the light its currently in. Full sun shouldn't be a problem, unless your having a hard time keeping it watered through out the day then move it into partial shade till things stabilize with your tree. The sun light is whats going to help encourage your back budding this tree needs. Hold off on fertilizer till you see buds starting to push all over the tree. If you have Vitamin B1 or super thrive you could water it once a week for a couple weeks (helps with transplant shock). Keep us posted, Id expect to see some buds start pushing for you in about a week or two. Good luck

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Prune it as hard as you need to at collection, it will pop back in a few weeks and by mid-summer, you won’t be able to see into it anymore. Just be aware that pruning cuts will not heal, so try to keep cuts at the back. Good trunk there, I’d shorten it down to at least the red line, maybe shorter.
67392977-532F-4E01-8287-317827927BB6.jpeg

Fl_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yeah, there's no green left on it to dry out in full sun so whatever comes out will be adjusted to the light its currently in. Full sun shouldn't be a problem, unless your having a hard time keeping it watered through out the day then move it into partial shade till things stabilize with your tree. The sun light is whats going to help encourage your back budding this tree needs. Hold off on fertilizer till you see buds starting to push all over the tree. If you have Vitamin B1 or super thrive you could water it once a week for a couple weeks (helps with transplant shock). Keep us posted, Id expect to see some buds start pushing for you in about a week or two. Good luck
I’ll be grabbing some super thrive tomorrow Ill see how the soil reacts as to water retention as far as full sun goes thanks for the help I’ll update once I see some progress!!

Fl_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Prune it as hard as you need to at collection, it will pop back in a few weeks and by mid-summer, you won’t be able to see into it anymore. Just be aware that pruning cuts will not heal, so try to keep cuts at the back. Good trunk there, I’d shorten it down to at least the red line, maybe shorter.
View attachment 280389
View attachment 280389
im going to take a look on where the front will be and make more cuts from there. I was thinking I should cut pretty far back but was nervous on how much could I really take off. Once I finish this cold one I’ll walk out back an take a look !

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
The only time I won't collect is the hot dry part of summer april/may/June once the rains start I go back at it if I find one I want. I am going thru mine now and deciding what to do with them this spring...aka in a few weeks here.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I wasted years on the first dwarf yaupon I collected because I didn't cut it back far enough. Go with something close to Brian's suggestion. The natural shape of this tree will be so much fun to work with!

Fl_bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yeah I did cut it back some more. So now it’s the waiting game waiting for it to push some new growth . Once it does I’ll will be doing a update!

Top Bottom