Ilex seratta

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
Damn, :( I wanted to take a picture of the tree today, it was beautiful, with its leaves and covered with pretty red bais.
The birds are gone, there is no fruit left

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn, :( I wanted to take a picture of the tree today, it was beautiful, with its leaves and covered with pretty red bais.
The birds are gone, there is no fruit left
Well fortunately you at least got to see it. Isn't that one of the reasons we love bonsai? It can be so ephemeral.

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
Hello Penumbra.

Yes, I do, but I like to take pictures of the evolution of my trees.
It's important.

It will be for next year. :)

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Beautiful !

Actually, it reminds me that a few miles from where I live is the "Conservatoire national d'Ilex".

I might go there this weekend...

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
Thank you Alain,
It is better now, I repotted it since these pictures and I took the opportunity to orientate it a little better.

To be fair, that is what the berries are for.
Yes, we can see things like that, but at the same time, if we want to be completely accurate, a tree does not make fruits to feed people or animals.
It makes fruits to reproduce itself and it is even more true here since it is a dioecious or dioïque tree. This means that in order to have fruits, you need a female tree and a male tree.

I have two female trees and three males.
So I have a breeding of Ilex. :) ;)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
to be completely accurate, a tree does not make fruits to feed people or animals
This is not exactly accurate. Plants make berries for animals to eat to disperse their seeds. The sugars, phenol's and such in a berry seldom have any effect on the seed, they are made to entice animals. Some plants fruits inhibit the germination of the seeds. Many seeds will not germinate until they have gone through an animals digestive track.
Plants are clever in the way they use us, but they have been practicing this for millions upon millions of years.

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
Quod erat demonstrandum
I don't want to argue, but that's what I'm saying. :)

Plants make fruit to reproduce, not to feed birds or anyone else.
You are simply explaining one of the many processes of multiplication.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Plants make fruit to reproduce, not to feed birds

So true ! :)

But I had a couple of Pyracanthas with nice orange-red berries, and when I opened the door this morning, a blackbird (?) flew away.
Almost all the berries were gone... :confused:

Well, no such a big harm done, they leave the spring flowers alone so the bees can make honey. :cool:

That's life...

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Don’t you want to feed the birds?
Toppins the birds.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Don’t you want to feed the birds?

I don't mind : when I was a kiid, my father and I would trap or shoot pidgeons or blackkbirds (I prefer backbirds when they are cooked properly. Though there isn't much to eat, it definitely tastes better). 😄

But I can't say whether they're tastier if they're vegans or feed on worms or other insects.

Mind you : I really try to reduce meat in my diet, not only for "ecological" reasons, but because it's much, much healthier.

But... I love meat ! 😈

Last edited:
Top Bottom