Ilex serrata cuttings: any experience?

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone out there had success propagating Ilex serrata (Japanese deciduous holly) from cuttings?
If so, any guidance on timing/technique would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
In terms of technique, the same procedure that you would use for Acer Palmatum in the spring will work for Ilex Serrata.

In terms of timing, Ilex Serrata seems less sensitive than Acer Palmatum. Ilex Serrata cuttings have rooted for me when taken any time of the spring/summer/early fall. I have not done enough of them in a systematic way to be able to recommend one period over another. This year, I am doing them all in the last week of May and first week of June (i.e. 'late spring', for me).

It looks to me like Mr. Toyoda at Fukuju-en must be air layering his?

for TomB.png

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In terms of technique, the same procedure that you would use for Acer Palmatum in the spring will work for Ilex Serrata.

@Canada Bonsai have you worked with Ilex verticillata (winterberry?). It's a North American native that is also a deciduous holly. I assume it would be similar... but have no experience with it.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
@Canada Bonsai have you worked with Ilex verticillata (winterberry?). It's a North American native that is also a deciduous holly. I assume it would be similar... but have no experience with it.

Not yet! I was taught how to propagate using Ilex Serrata, which is just what happened to be on hand that day. I agree Ilex Verticillata must propagate very similarly based on what i've read.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
@Bonsai Nut i’ve been looking into Ilex Verticillata since you mentioned it, and decided to pull out my Dirr and Heuser. You were spot on:

Under Ilex Serrata cuttings it says: “see I. Verticillata” 🤣

So ya, business as usual with procedure, hormone, mist, etc. People are reporting 90-100% success rates in June-July, so i might take mine in mid-June instead of end of May, especially since our spring did come quite late this year

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have had very limited success with I. serrata cuttings. I’ve struck around 50 over the last several years, and only have 1 growing. I used semi-hardwood cuttings, with 1-2 leaves, in akadama top-dressed with sphagnum moss In late spring...so maybe you want to try something else!

Top Bottom