Ilex Serrata (Japanese Winterberry)

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
This is a young female Ilex that has made some berries. It has very good potential and seems very responsive to pinching . Very winter hardy too. $40 shipped

Attachments

• DSCN3136.JPG
    DSCN3136.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 212

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
Yes, I put it on in the spring . The trunk came off at an angle so I straightened it out and as it thickens with growth it will become more natural looking .

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice berries, very uncommon species. This should sell quickly.

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
Oh, Im sorry, no it sold. I should have made a note on that here. But I do have a wonderful Muscadine grape Bonsai for sale. (see trees for sale) It just dropped all its leaves now and looks really cool with the stems still hanging on. Makes grapes each year .

mach6

Sapling
Reaction score
Ilex Serrata Winterberry

can i please ask if yours was a single female that was producing berries without a male around?

i have heard both: that a female can/cannot produce berry (seedless?) without males around?

Thank you!

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
Since you said please ,its ok for my response!!LOL just kidding. I had 2 females and one male close together. So yes, both females got pollinated by the male which made plenty of tiny flowers. However Ive heard but have not put it to the test, that even evergreen hollies can pollinate the deciduous hollies. And I have home foundation evergreen hollies in my yard. Surely someone must know this answer. OR I can try keeping them far apart this summer to see if the evergreen shrubs pollinate .I have also heard that without the male the female can still make some berries ,just not that many.

Top Bottom