Ilex "steeds"

cship4885

Seedling
Reaction score
I just purchased this holly in the discount section at a local nursery. I believe it suffered along with many of its comrades from the 2-3 week 100 degree weather here in the north east. When I came across it there was already back budding and I believe it will make a good recovery. The tree was taken for $6 marked down from $69. I suppose a good deal even if it does now work out for bonsai. The trunk is about 2" diameter with a much wider nebari below the soil line. I trimmed back a lot of dead branches and quite a bit of foliage at the ends of previous branches that were living. Unfortunately I lost the 'before' pictures and only have 'after' shots. I think the trunk has some interesting movement and there are some options with this tree. I plan to leave it alone until next year to do any work to it, then I will root prune and repot and hopefully begin developing some spreading roots for the nebari. I don't know what to do styling wise yet but that's what winter is good for. I will have plenty of time to get to know the tree.

I've attached a few pictures. All comments welcome.

*EDIT: Also, the tag listed the tree as ilex "steeds," is steeds a cultivar or variety? I couldn't find all that great information online regarding the tree.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 39
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

cship4885

Seedling
Reaction score
One more picture.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 24

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I don't know that cultivar but I see a couple of nice potential trunk lines. I'd pick one trunk line I like best and cut off all of the other multiple trunks and branches with the plan being to develop new branches from all the back budding. Getting rid of everything that you don't need now will result in a much better bonsai in the long run.
Also it appears to be in regular crappy potting soil. Be sure to get it in bonsai soil nest spring.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
There's a nice multi trunk in there if you get rid of most of the large central trunk.

Attachments

• jun.jpg
    jun.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 23
Top Bottom