Ilex Vomitoria Opinion

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a chance to get a very healthy Yaupon Holly that's about 12 foot tall with two three inch trunks. Problem is I have to dig it up and I'm not sure how well they respond to a chop. There is not much flare all the way down to ground level but who knows what's under the soil. Any insight would be appreciated. Oh, I forgot to mention the price: $10.00.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I collected several big yaupon and chopped them really hard and survived.

Things I did. Chop the top hard. Wash all old soil and replace with fast draining soil. They love acidic soil so add lots of bark or moss if you can (I use about 50%).

VERY IMPORTANT...They are susceptible to fungal attack so treat with anti-fungal. I drench mine with Daconil solution after potting.

Good luck!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here are some pics of my yaupon (circled in red) to give you an idea how hard I chop them. BTW, most of these started around the size you described (well shorter but trunk wise are 4" to 6". These are old pics...they look better now. :D

For scale. the smaller black dish pans are 14" long and the big black one (in pic #2) is about 24" long. ;)

Good luck!

Attachments

• Yaupon1.jpg
    Yaupon1.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Yaupon2.jpg
    Yaupon2.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Yaupon3.jpg
    Yaupon3.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Yaupon4.jpg
    Yaupon4.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They look like they're really coming along nicely! How much longer do you think I have this year to collect it/them (he has more than one)? BTW, I'll take whatever you have in that Coke container in photo #1. That's a beauty!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They look like they're really coming along nicely! How much longer do you think I have this year to collect it/them (he has more than one)? BTW, I'll take whatever you have in that Coke container in photo #1. That's a beauty!

I collect them year round. Only no-no is when it is freezing cold. Above 45*F nightly lows is ideal.

Thanks. That buttonwood changed pots already. :)

attachment.php

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mine is not very happy:( Puerto Rico to Panama City must have the little guy in total disarray. I bring it in the garage every night the temps are going to be anywhere near 50 but there's a lot of leaf browning and I've lost a few as well. This week the temps are going to be in the 40's every night so as you might say, "The Panama City Two-Step" here I come.

You must have some very trustworthy neighbors or a BIG watchdog.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My buttonwood (and other tropical trees) stay mostly indoors (in my garage) with T8 fluorescent lights since late November. They were out for a week but went back inside last week and may stay there for 2 more weeks before I can bring them out again.

Spring is just around the corner. :)

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I hope my Yaupon I collected last Oct turn out as healthy as those Dario....I think one of them has already kicked the bucket.....The two I cut back very hard are doing the best.

Brian

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I hope my Yaupon I collected last Oct turn out as healthy as those Dario....I think one of them has already kicked the bucket.....The two I cut back very hard are doing the best.

Brian

I hope so too Brian. FYI, my first collected yaupon was kept tall as I was advised...that kicked the bucket. The next 3, from the same site were chopped hard survived and are very healthy. All 3 also produced berries last year...2 are full of flower buds now.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a chance to get a very healthy Yaupon Holly that's about 12 foot tall with two three inch trunks. Problem is I have to dig it up and I'm not sure how well they respond to a chop. There is not much flare all the way down to ground level but who knows what's under the soil. Any insight would be appreciated. Oh, I forgot to mention the price: $10.00.

Have you taken the tree yet? :D

BTW, try to expose the proper nebari before you dig...I've dug some that have the top of nebari 8" below the current top of soil.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here are some pics of my yaupon (circled in red) to give you an idea how hard I chop them. BTW, most of these started around the size you described (well shorter but trunk wise are 4" to 6". These are old pics...they look better now. :D

For scale. the smaller black dish pans are 14" long and the big black one (in pic #2) is about 24" long. ;)

Good luck!

Dario...I knew you had a lot of bonsai...but...WOW! What sort of watering system do you have?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dario...I knew you had a lot of bonsai...but...WOW! What sort of watering system do you have?

Well none of them are bonsai yet but hopefully heading there. I have lots more not shown actually. :D

I just use a hose w/ a wand. I have all the components for a auto sprinkler system but decided not to install it yet because (due to drought) we have a watering restriction and it can only be used once a week :mad: but okay to water daily by hand.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well none of them are bonsai yet but hopefully heading there. I have lots more not shown actually. :D

I just use a hose w/ a wand. I have all the components for a auto sprinkler system but decided not to install it yet because (due to drought) we have a watering restriction and it can only be used once a week :mad: but okay to water daily by hand.

Well...yeah...bonsai in training/pre-bonsai...but still! Water restrictions...booger that an be bothersome. Interesting that by hand isn't restricted to some extent...glad for you it isn't.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Interesting that by hand isn't restricted to some extent...glad for you it isn't.

I believe the intent is to reduce lawn watering (it is a hassle to do by hand)...but the law, as written, did not differentiate watering system for potted plants. I know nurseries managed to get exceptions.

You can tell by all the campaign ads...every video, pic, graphs, graphics, etc. is about lawn watering.

Top Bottom