Ilex vomitoria (possible bonsai material?)

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
couple pics of a Yaupon Holly

possible form for a windswept style. let me know if u want some better pics, i know these arent the best views. but it has nicely developed nebari and thick trunk. just curious of how these are to work with and if it has potential...

thanks!!!!

Attachments

• 0203101217.jpg
    0203101217.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 0203101217a.jpg
    0203101217a.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 123

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yeah ill definitely try to get a pic soon from the side, this doesnt show the angle of the trunk at all... damn haha:p

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These take to bonsai culture very well. You shouldn't have any problems training one. Not sure that a wind swept style would suit this in my opinion.

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
got some better pics today... still trying to decide where i should take this as far as form goes...

Attachments

• 0204101232.jpg
    0204101232.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 0204101232a.jpg
    0204101232a.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 0204101232b.jpg
    0204101232b.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 0204101233.jpg
    0204101233.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 118

noissee

Mame
Reaction score
I wouldn't do much to the branches yes. Maybe just a hedge pruning.
When you repot, go ahead and try to cut some of those crossing roots off. In the future, you won't be too happy with it if it still has those awkward crossing roots, so go ahead and try to take care of that first.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't do much to the branches yes. Maybe just a hedge pruning.
When you repot, go ahead and try to cut some of those crossing roots off. In the future, you won't be too happy with it if it still has those awkward crossing roots, so go ahead and try to take care of that first.

From what I've seen with this species it fuses the crossed roots relatively fast. It can create interesting trunks. In fact judging by the photos, the crossing roots appear to have begun fusing already. I'd leave it alone. Removing it may lead to a messy looking trunk.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great bonsai material, but VERY brittle branches. When you transplant, use knob cutters and prune all downward-facing roots, and really prune hard under the trunk, and you will get a HUGE base in a few years.

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
alright, well i think i got what imma do with the roots :p
now what with the other half of the tree? haha

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
alright, well i think i got what imma do with the roots :p
now what with the other half of the tree? haha

I would cut it back severely in early spring (whatever month that means for your area) and keep only the basic structure of the branches. You'll find that it will back bud profusely. Then I would build the branch structure from there. That's what I would do if it were mine.

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
does the season matter if it is in a high humidity (+80%) green house?

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would anyone have any suggestions as far as a style goes for this. maybe a virt?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
couple pics of a Yaupon Holly

possible form for a windswept style. let me know if u want some better pics, i know these arent the best views. but it has nicely developed nebari and thick trunk. just curious of how these are to work with and if it has potential...

thanks!!!!

Just curious what "you" feel makes nice nebari. I see many thick roots and bad crossing roots with no even root spread.

As far as potential for the species....limitless...

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just curious what "you" feel makes nice nebari. I see many thick roots and bad crossing roots with no even root spread.

As far as potential for the species....limitless...

so this is garbage is what you're trying to say?

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i would consider removing (maybe uncrossing) the roots but i feel i'll be left with a pretty gnarly "trunk" if thats what ya want to call it...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
so this is garbage is what you're trying to say?

I don't remember "garbage" being part of my lexicon while describing my opinion. I asked what made you think it was nice nebari? I am gathering that you feel grotesque rootage is somehow to be confused with good nebari. For those willing to hear me out, I can tell you it isn't. Unless your going for some growtesque (pun intended) Chinese inspired form, this will always be bad rootage, plain and simple. I agree that untangleing roots and paring away uneeded roots will improve the look of this trunk.

You posted it, I offered my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

I have a yaupon I am working on, maybe you will see a difference....maybe not. All thats left to do is grow out a canopy which will take about three months here.

Attachments

• DSC_00010001.JPG
    DSC_00010001.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 56

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i would consider removing (maybe uncrossing) the roots but i feel i'll be left with a pretty gnarly "trunk" if thats what ya want to call it...

The nebari isn't the most desirable at present. BUT if you bare root it you may find smaller roots below what you currently see that could make for a better nebari, and could justify removing the big thick roots you see at present. You have an aesthetically challenging piece of material. But, I've found these plants to be pretty tough and malleable. I guess it all comes down to how much time you want to devote to this.

Just a thought...my local Lowes or Home depot seems to always have these in stock. I often sift through them to see if I can find one with a nice nebari and trunk. They cost less than $10...why not abandon this one for one you might find that would be a better aesthetically pleasing tree?

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I apologize, I didn't mean that comment to come off as snotty haha. At first look, especially for a newbie like myself, nebari is nebari and now i have come to realize that its not the best lol. I completely understand what you mean. I'm just beginning and am fortunate enough to have some pretty nice material to work with here.

-I guess my biggest question is what i need to go through for the canopy development... I don't even know which direction to go in as far as style goes... Is there any way the current foliage could be developed? or would a clear cut be a better route?

thanks again for all your input!

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
and as far as finding another tree... unfortunately, my options are kind of limited where i live... (Middle of the Midwest)

Top Bottom