Ilex vomitoria 'shillings'?

nite_owl_studios

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

A roadside save that I picked up in the middle of last summer. The first picture is after I brought it home and potted it up. The original owners chopped the trunks and viciousl duh up the root system leaving little there. The tree set along the roadside for two days before I stopped to get it. Tre second picture is a little over apnyh later when it began to push buds from old wood. And finally the third picture is where it stands today. I'm pretty glad I stopped to give this one a second chance!

nite_owl_studios

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The base of the main truck (Nebari buried for recovery) is nearly 8" wide at the base a little over 14" tall.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn!
If I ain't said welcome yet....Welcome to Crazy!

I really enjoy your work!

Sorce

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It may be 'Shilling's Dwarf,' or it may be just plain I. vomitoria. I'd hope it was the latter because then you have a 50-50 chance of getting berries. With Shillings the chance is zero.

At any rate, nice save. Let it be for at least a growing season.

nite_owl_studios

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It may be 'Shilling's Dwarf,' or it may be just plain I. vomitoria. I'd hope it was the latter because then you have a 50-50 chance of getting berries. With Shillings the chance is zero.

At any rate, nice save. Let it be for at least a growing season.

How nice would it be to have this thing loaded with bright berries?! No signs of any yet, but I just saved it late last summer. Yep, haven't touched it yet.. it's just doing its thing since I saved it, but I can already see a lot of potential just from it's natural growth this year.

Top Bottom