Ilex Vomitoria

darkwaterdevil

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
mine was just getting worse and worse. even when i let it dry before watering it again. losing leaves and branches. so i figured i would repot without root pruning because i want to wait till spring for it because it looked root bound. when i pulled it out it first looked root bound in a old very small nursery pot and eve garden gifts just put it right from the old pot into the bonsai pot without doing anything. i cleaned off the old soil and a lot of roots looked like they were cut in the past and just left in there with it. would that promote root rot?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is possible that the roots died and may appear like they were cut but wasn't. It may very well promote root rot since the matted dead roots can retain a lot of water...couple that with decaying matter and you have the recipe for disaster.

At any rate, I think you did the right thing. Replacing the soil is better that letting it continue to deteriorate. You will have to protect it from frost this season though. Come spring, it may have establish some roots and push lots of growth then.

Good luck!

darkwaterdevil

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
this is how its looking now almost all of the leaves are gone. think theres any hope?

Attachments

• 100_1171.jpg
    100_1171.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 45

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
They are tough, but time will tell. I'd mist it regularly, keep it in a lot of light, and let the soil start to get a little on the dry side before watering again. It may stay this way until spring, so don't give up too quickly. Yaupon hollies do take a rest in the winter.

Top Bottom