I'm a swamp rat.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If it looks funny in a small pot, maybe it would look good on a slab or rock.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like weird stuff from the swamp.
You dating my Ex?
Lol!

This is the largest one I would consider collecting. Probably the best of the bunch you posted.

img_20191115_161144-jpg.271201
That looks like quite a task!
Go ahead, do it!
I want to be impressed!

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Man that gnarbled root to the right on that hornbeam looks interesting, unusual.
DEF17A95-80C0-4191-973A-0F67D9C7F080.jpeg

The flare of this is likely more significant than it appears. However, I too would worry about too much of the dominant roots growing down and not out. Could chase some down with a trowel or such before deciding to dig or not?

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Man that gnarbled root to the right on that hornbeam looks interesting, unusual.
View attachment 271317

The flare of this is likely more significant than it appears. However, I too would worry about too much of the dominant roots growing down and not out. Could chase some down with a trowel or such before deciding to dig or not?
Gonna look at it some more next time I go. No rush, I don't think it will go anywhere if I don't dig it in the spring. Or if I don't dig it at all. I still think it's cool. But I haven't developed the knowledge yet, that a lot have. I'm still not sure of myself. I just don't wanna go digging a bunch of trees thinking are great. Then learn I'm a noob, and dug a bunch of junk! That was just fine in the ground being a tree. The tree was solid. I checked it wasn't rotted all those roots were solid. I don't think there was much tapper. At least not above the root flare. Once it cleared the roots it was straight. But that still part of the knowledge part of it. Learning what to look for. Learning when I can take straight material and chop it to create tapper. That's the noob part, and why I'm posted it.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with the one you found and marked.
Tho I do think you have a 5% chance of finding something 10% better. Where "better" can be be anything from lighter, to branched.

Learning when I can take straight material and chop it to create tapper.

I believe this is the most slippery slope.
Timewise especially, with aesthetics hot on its heels, due to the timeline.

So the best future D's will come from those who are patient with the timeline.

Too often the second chop is made to early, ruining everything.

I believe there is also this thing where humans see a rootspread perpendicular to the trunk and we "see" what should be a trunk going up for meters. So chopping these and inducing movement 2-6inches up doesn't work for our brains. As far as seeing a large tree in miniature, we still see a chopped field tree.

That said, the best D's will NOT have roots perpendicular to the trunk.

The exception is trees like "piglet" which I believe is Mach5's now, and trees like Walter works on with Sandev.
Those elephant foot beast carpinus.

Trees like that carpinus you pictured....
They will be an excellent generational project, 100's of years.

I believe anything with a good root spread (not that carpinus) is worth collecting so long as we remember the timeline for development can be from 2 to 100 years. Start with that plan, and continue it.

Sorce

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Exploring my area. I found these near a boat ramp not to far from my house. They are beasts and have been around for a very long time. Someone cut a square hole though the base of one. Not sure why maybe to rig up some kind of fishing rig, or something. Should have gotten a better picture of the hole. Just wanted to share the pics. Thought these trees were pretty cool

Attachments

• IMG_20191117_144726.jpg
    IMG_20191117_144726.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20191117_144027.jpg
    IMG_20191117_144027.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20191117_144335.jpg
    IMG_20191117_144335.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 27

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I suggest you go back and look at these trees from all angles for 10-15 mutes each. Crazy? Maybe. Try to visualize how ( or if) they will fit in a pot and what kind of reasonable top growth you could expect. Then conservatively figure how long that will take. It could be a very sobering experience. 8-10 years is not unheard of. Are you willing to have this tree look basically like crap for 6-8 years........or longer? Not trying to rain on your parade, but BIG trees take a LOOOOONNNNG time to become good bonsai.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So I went back up there this morning. I guess since I can't quit eating, and I'm diabetic. This walking in the woods is gonna become my exercise routine. I had to go back and mark one of the trees I had pictures of. I ran across this American hornbeam(Carpinus Caroliniana) muscle wood. I think it's cool as hell. But I'm not sure if it will make good Bonsai. Here are some pics what do you guys think? Bonsai or leave alone? It has some very cool roots. Has a knee like deal one one side. But again what's cool to me may not be good material for Bonsai.

I like it but I like unusual roots.

Top Bottom