I'm Calling it a Grey Owl for Now... 1st Repot

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well....

Umm....

I assume this tree started it's life as a cutting in a 1 gallon bucket, was probably up potted a time or 2, then ground grown for a while... Leading to the huge single root snaking around the bottom...

Since I aquired it, I noticed that water was not getting into the rootball, I was poking holes with a chop stick to try to help.
When I began raking the top, I quickly noticed the dryness...I dunno how this thing looks so healthy!...I guess junpers really do depend on their foliage...
It also had many dead roots from the side that died off while planted in the ground, and shaded out.
I got as much of the dead roots out as I could, I think I got them all.
Got all the dry stuff out.
I think it has enough there to sustain... hoping the tree loves the new substrate and rebounds well!

Here's the damage...?
KIMG0842.JPGKIMG0843.JPGKIMG0844.JPGKIMG0845.JPGKIMG0846.JPGKIMG0847.JPGKIMG0848.JPGKIMG0849.JPG
KIMG0842.JPGKIMG0843.JPGKIMG0844.JPGKIMG0845.JPGKIMG0846.JPGKIMG0847.JPGKIMG0848.JPGKIMG0849.JPG

11am pre-lunch RR....yeah, that's right...o_O

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well....

Umm....

I assume this tree started it's life as a cutting in a 1 gallon bucket, was probably up potted a time or 2, then ground grown for a while... Leading to the huge single root snaking around the bottom...

Since I aquired it, I noticed that water was not getting into the rootball, I was poking holes with a chop stick to try to help.
When I began raking the top, I quickly noticed the dryness...I dunno how this thing looks so healthy!...I guess junpers really do depend on their foliage...
It also had many dead roots from the side that died off while planted in the ground, and shaded out.
I got as much of the dead roots out as I could, I think I got them all.
Got all the dry stuff out.
I think it has enough there to sustain... hoping the tree loves the new substrate and rebounds well!

Here's the damage...?
View attachment 191853View attachment 191854View attachment 191855View attachment 191856View attachment 191857View attachment 191858View attachment 191859View attachment 191860
View attachment 191853View attachment 191854View attachment 191855View attachment 191856View attachment 191857View attachment 191858View attachment 191859View attachment 191860

11am pre-lunch RR....yeah, that's right...o_O
It's hard to tell from the pictures but did you end up cutting that big root completely off? The procumbens I got through Roy Nagatoshi's workshop looks like it'll have a similar root that I'll have to take care of when I repot it.

I like the Shari! Did you do that yourself?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It's hard to tell from the pictures but did you end up cutting that big root completely off? The procumbens I got through Roy Nagatoshi's workshop looks like it'll have a similar root that I'll have to take care of when I repot it.

I didn't cut it off, no.
It's fine, really, just ugly.
I stripped that one branch down and pulled the bark down to the the soil level when I first got it, a few weeks ago.
Part if it was already deadwood there, looks like it's had termites as well, some time ago.
Thanks!

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree! What's your soil 50/50 lava pumice? I half bare rooted a Pfitzerania in a 3 gallon nursery and potted it in bonsai pot in the only thing I had ...DE. We've had heavy rains and the soil was staying way too wet and the tips weakened and probably spider mites so i treated for that as well. Hope it wasn't too much.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice tree! What's your soil 50/50 lava pumice? I half bare rooted a Pfitzerania in a 3 gallon nursery and potted it in bonsai pot in the only thing I had ...DE. We've had heavy rains and the soil was staying way too wet and the tips weakened and probably spider mites so i treated for that as well. Hope it wasn't too much.
Yep lava and pumice, sifted to an even particle size, I didn't use the larger particles that I normally would, smaller ones for the juniper roots.
And I would say that HBR is way safer...
I didn't expect so many dead roots...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like it a lot! That swirly root is crazy! I think it is probably wise to keep it like you plan... who knows what it’s conn to up top (life line that is)...
Yeah... From what I have seen/read I think this sort of large single root is what people see with old juniper yamadori as well, when most of the original tree has died away....it's why many nice juniper Bonsai don't have a Nebari.

I put down a top layer of sphagnum, hopefully it'll take!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I also removed about 25-30% of the foliage by taking off the the longest branch.

Should probably cut the runners back this summer if all goes well.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I thought we did half bare roots when repotting conifers? Wish you success...honestly I do. Looks healthy enough by the looks of it prior to repot.
Yeah... The whole thing was so dry and full of dead roots, I just went all the way with it...
Would have taken pictures, but it was raining on me the whole time.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I thought we did half bare roots when repotting conifers? Wish you success...honestly I do. Looks healthy enough by the looks of it prior to repot.
And believe me, I'm concerned...
Though...if it goes belly up, I will have learned a valuable lesson...as well, there are about 5 more similar trees at the old nursery in which I found it.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've always read to never bare root a juniper. But then my CEO who's spent 60 years in the nursery business said it is fine. So we'll see!
I know Nigel Saunders does things a little differently but he also bare roots all of his trees every single time and hasn't had problems so there's still hope! :D
Yeah... We'll see ?
I'm moving it from full sun to morning sun.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

I noticed the pics I posted were a bit blurry.
Since you asked about the deadwood...
The part I made was basically between 2 natural Shari's already...
Now one side is all dead and one side is all live vein.
KIMG0858.JPGKIMG0860.JPGKIMG0859.JPGKIMG0861.JPGKIMG0857.JPG
KIMG0858.JPGKIMG0860.JPGKIMG0859.JPGKIMG0861.JPGKIMG0857.JPG

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If it lives, I think I will be able to make another thin Shari in the front, by the looks of where it's swelling...but time will tell.

Top Bottom