I'm Calling it a Grey Owl for Now... 1st Repot

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful tree! You know, it's pretty hard not to bare root trees growing in lava/pumice. I just did half a dozen that had been in turface and they bare rooted with just a few pokes and a couple of shakes. I misted while I untangled and cut back the long running roots to the finer fibrous root mass. Two weeks since the first was done, yesterday for the last. All are showing lots of new growth at this time.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! I hope it thrives for you! Snaky! It’ll look even better later when you can go to town with a tool to rip up those cut off stubs in the dead wood parts to leave them ragged and pointy, maybe even bent a little at the tips. Keep us updated!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice! I hope it thrives for you! Snaky! It’ll look even better later when you can go to town with a tool to rip up those cut off stubs in the dead wood parts to leave them ragged and pointy, maybe even bent a little at the tips. Keep us updated!
Yeah, the snake-like live vein is highly coveted but the likes of me...???

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I noticed the pics I posted were a bit blurry.
Since you asked about the deadwood...
The part I made was basically between 2 natural Shari's already...
Now one side is all dead and one side is all live vein.
View attachment 192011View attachment 192012View attachment 192013View attachment 192014View attachment 192015
View attachment 192011View attachment 192012View attachment 192013View attachment 192014View attachment 192015
That looks awesome! Thanks for posting those pictures. Did you use any kind of lime sulfur on the deadwood to clean it up?
I also love how the dark red bark looks cleaned up, great job!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That looks awesome! Thanks for posting those pictures. Did you use any kind of lime sulfur on the deadwood to clean it up?
I also love how the dark red bark looks cleaned up, great job!
No lime sulfur yet.
Maybe this summer if it grows well.
And thanks!!!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would wait a few years and let nature do its thing on the deadwood :)
Its always a suprise what is revealed after the soil is removed !
I think it will live, mist the hell out of it and give it some foliar feed once in a while
Good luck and keep us posted!

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Super nice find! I love scoring some of these nice junipers at nurseries. This going to look so nice as it ages and progresses. Can't wait to see it styled.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Today I got around to plucking all the fruits off it....
There were probably 500 on the tree, no joke...
Should have taken a picture of all of it...
Here's an idea of how it looked, and more pics: (don't hate on the bud light...I'm at my in-laws and my mother in-law wanted me to drink her garage fridge empty...so I'm working on bud and coors lights....blah! ?)
KIMG0986.JPGKIMG0987.JPGKIMG0988.JPGKIMG0989.JPGKIMG0991.JPGKIMG0992.JPG
KIMG0986.JPGKIMG0987.JPGKIMG0988.JPGKIMG0989.JPGKIMG0991.JPGKIMG0992.JPG

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So you're saying May is the proper time to bare root junipers?????

o_O

Some will say not to bare root Junipers at all. I bare rooted 6 junipers in one sitting last March and all are doing great. I think if you have a yamadori juniper in native soil or an expensive tree then you may want to go the half bare root route to be safe.
Just wing it has a colder climate than me so May is probably a good month for him but would be too late for me.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Some will say not to bare root Junipers at all. I bare rooted 6 junipers in one sitting last March and all are doing great. I think if you have a yamadori juniper in native soil or an expensive tree then you may want to go the half bare root route to be safe.
Just wing it has a colder climate than me so May is probably a good month for him but would be too late for me.
I was kind of half ass asking. Jokingly sarcastically I suppose. I know there is no over all "guaranteed month of success to bareroot" lol

But, while we are on the subject..... would you say that generally if the weather is freezing/ cold a bareroot could be performed????

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was kind of half ass asking. Jokingly sarcastically I suppose. I know there is no over all "guaranteed month of success to bareroot" lol

But, while we are on the subject..... would you say that generally if the weather is freezing/ cold a bareroot could be performed????
I prefer to work junipers when they are actively growing...
On this one, I waited until the tips where bright green and growing...

Top Bottom