I'm Calling it a Grey Owl for Now... 1st Repot

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Feed it heavily and keep all foliage until next year is what I would do. Junipers really do love the heat of the summer. Mine start pushing hard when it gets hear. Nice tree.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Feed it heavily and keep all foliage until next year is what I would do. Junipers really do love the heat of the summer. Mine start pushing hard when it gets hear. Nice tree.
Thanks, and yes, I agree...
I wont be trimmimg the runners this year...its looking up though!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe it will be turned out to very nice bonsai later on.
Thụ Thoại

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yeah, I think it will need a lot of jin and shari
Thụ Thoại
Yes, I think I will be able to open up a Shari down the live vein in the future and there will be small jins certainly, but I'm not exactly sure which branches will be used in the design yet, nor which ones will be jinned...
Time is all it needs for now!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
He dude!
I am currently working my grey owl to get the first styling finished so that the basic structure is set and so that i can start on the deadwood later this year.

A fellow student of were i take my classes brought his grey owl in yesterday too and hes way ahead of us with that tree ....
Good news tough.... he managed to get the foliage to grow up instead of the drooping down growth habbit and the foliage does get compact enough to create decent foliage pads!
It will take longer than with species like shimpaku or chinensis but its defenatly doable, tought id share this with you in case people tell you otherwise!

I will make a detailed report on my work ive done when im finished to show the plan we made to tighten things up ill make sure to tag you by that time :)

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
He dude!
I am currently working my grey owl to get the first styling finished so that the basic structure is set and so that i can start on the deadwood later this year.

A fellow student of were i take my classes brought his grey owl in yesterday too and hes way ahead of us with that tree ....
Good news tough.... he managed to get the foliage to grow up instead of the drooping down growth habbit and the foliage does get compact enough to create decent foliage pads!
It will take longer than with species like shimpaku or chinensis but its defenatly doable, tought id share this with you in case people tell you otherwise!

I will make a detailed report on my work ive done when im finished to show the plan we made to tighten things up ill make sure to tag you by that time :)
Nice!
Thanks buddy!

I look at mine often, glad that it survived the bare rooting, happy that I can leave it in its current training pot for a good long time and not have to worry about rotting roots.

I haven't done any styling yet.
I think my plan for it will commence next spring.
I'm thinking of reducing it further of course, attempting to wire out a branch that I want to use for the final design, while leaving a couple of other options on the table....so if my wired branch dies off after, I'll have a replacement branch to use in a different fashion.

Basically I want to make this tree work, I think it has tons of potential to become a nice literati style tree....so I'm going very slow with it.

Since it was completely untouched all year after the repotting, I expect it to take off next year and maybe if all goes well with the plan above, I might be able to make some serious progress in 2019...but still not rushing.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Please pleas please share where you found it :)
Its an old nursery that may not technically be in business any more...it was kinda run down honestly....but they do have some old stock that they aren't attached to.
The place is in Howard Co, on rt 108...I will try to find the name if possible.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Really nice juniper, looks like it has potential.

None of its growing traits seem like J. virginiana. The MO Botanic garden website says that it is listed by most as J. virginiana they believe it is either a hybrid or a different species that was incorrectly identified. Well they don't spell out the miss identified part, but I know people there, and they ''tone down'' disagreements because they depend on donations from commercial landscape nurseries for sponsorship.

If your tree does not develop cedar-apple rust or pear-cedar rust, or develop juvenile foliage after pruning, it most likely is not J. virginiana. The rust inevitably infects nearly 100% of J. virginiana. Any resistance to the disease is a sign of the tree in question either not being J. virginiana or possibly a hybrid. Nearly 100 % of J. virginiana will revert to juvenile foliage immediately after any significant pruning. Again, if it does not revert to needle foliage, it is most likely not J. virginiana.

So what ever species 'Grey Owl' is, it does indeed seem good for bonsai, a nice find. What species it actually is, remains in question, and the answer won't affect the usefulness of this cultivar.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Really nice juniper, looks like it has potential.

None of its growing traits seem like J. virginiana. The MO Botanic garden website says that it is listed by most as J. virginiana they believe it is either a hybrid or a different species that was incorrectly identified. Well they don't spell out the miss identified part, but I know people there, and they ''tone down'' disagreements because they depend on donations from commercial landscape nurseries for sponsorship.

If your tree does not develop cedar-apple rust or pear-cedar rust, or develop juvenile foliage after pruning, it most likely is not J. virginiana. The rust inevitably infects nearly 100% of J. virginiana. Any resistance to the disease is a sign of the tree in question either not being J. virginiana or possibly a hybrid. Nearly 100 % of J. virginiana will revert to juvenile foliage immediately after any significant pruning. Again, if it does not revert to needle foliage, it is most likely not J. virginiana.

So what ever species 'Grey Owl' is, it does indeed seem good for bonsai, a nice find. What species it actually is, remains in question, and the answer won't affect the usefulness of this cultivar.
Thanks for that Leo!
I'll post 2 pics of large ones in my neighborhood, one is 20 feet from a crab apple tree.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@Leo in N E Illinois
Here are 2 in my neighbor's front yards... adjacent to the fully loaded crab apple.
KIMG1460.JPGKIMG1461.JPGKIMG1462.JPGKIMG1458.JPGKIMG1460.JPGKIMG1461.JPGKIMG1462.JPGKIMG1458.JPG

Whatever this juniper is, it's very common in this area. I see them in commercial and residential landscapes all over.
I'll have to check out local nurseries for them.
I haven't been to a single nursery all year...too busy for my own good.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Leo in N E Illinois
Here are 2 in my neighbor's front yards... adjacent to the fully loaded crab apple.
View attachment 216046View attachment 216047View attachment 216048View attachment 216049View attachment 216046View attachment 216047View attachment 216048View attachment 216049

Whatever this juniper is, it's very common in this area. I see them in commercial and residential landscapes all over.
I'll have to check out local nurseries for them.
I haven't been to a single nursery all year...too busy for my own good.
Good looking as landscape trees, but not very ERC like. And the lack of cedar apple rust says they are not very ERC like. Most ERC are fairly narrow in their upright growth, the wide oval the one tree has is not at all like ERC. I go with the MOBOT guys, this is not likely a ''real'' ERC. It is either a hybrid, or it is something else. Good looking juniper, rather like J. chinensis, but quite unlike a ''true'' ERC.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Some pages list Grey Owl as J. chinensis, some as J virginiana. Some say these are synonyms.
But this is interesting.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Some pages list Grey Owl as J. chinensis, some as J virginiana. Some say these are synonyms.
But this is interesting.
That is very interesting indeed, never read that before.

I was scrolling endlessly through juniper pictures on Google images just looking for anything that appeared similar....and I think every single one I clicked on was a Grey Owl.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So it looks it's got good genes. And yes, they are available here in Europe too.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I got another one! Haha!

I found myself about a mile down the road today, at work.... decided to stop by.

This one has some interesting movement and bending twisting action I think...

Foliage goes a little green this time of year.
KIMG1524.JPGKIMG1525.JPGKIMG1526.JPGKIMG1523.JPG
KIMG1526.JPGKIMG1524.JPGKIMG1523.JPGKIMG1525.JPG

I'm not planning to bare root this one like the other...I'm gonna try a HBR job....but it may be super dead and dry inside the root ball, like the other. We'll, see in spring time!

Top Bottom