I'm curious........

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
If you had some nice trees, would you leave them to the National Arboretum where you know they would recieve the best of care, for everyone to enjoy them for hopefully a long time ?

keep it green,
Harry

bonsaidad

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think that knowing that my trees would be taken care of and not just left around to waste away, I would donate my trees and let people enjoy them. Look at it this way alot of very good bonsai artists have done it so why should'nt I.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Greerhw,

No, I would donate them to the North Carolina Arboretum.

Regards,
Martin

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
I would donate them to the Weyerhaeuser exhibit where I know the trees get better care than the National Arbo.

That is to say that I would have trees worthy of that type of display...that alone would be a HUGE compliment!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would donate them to the Weyerhaeuser exhibit where I know the trees get better care than the National Arbo.

That is to say that I would have trees worthy of that type of display...that alone would be a HUGE compliment!

Wow....thats a pretty big statement....the first line that is....

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
LOL!! I knew that would get some attention.......

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
I thought I've heard that the Weyerhouse collection is going to be sold and terminated.

I recently spent the day with David DeGroot and that is not the plan. Davids boss is actually commited to reopening the collection and there is still staff in place that works on the exihibit daily. I don't think it is going anywhere.....

johng

Omono
Reaction score
...where I know the trees get better care than the National Arbo.

Jason...I am really disappointed that you would make a statement like that on a public forum.

I might ask what you have done to help improve conditions at the National Arboretum? Wasn't it just a year or so ago that funding was pulled or significantly slashed??? As I am sure you are aware, the National Collection is not a private enterprise and as such relies on our support.

The collection is one of the few public faces of our beloved hobby/art/craft. One in which I know you are invested deeply with your time, efforts and most likely money. Perhaps if more people like you were more interested in supporting the cause as opposed to publicly talking down about it the collection could be something we could all be proud of...

just a little food for thought.
John

cubbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
the last time that i was there (national arboretum), October, the bonsais appeared much better taken care of than previous visits. met the curator, and he seems committed to preserving them. there was some construction going on to improve the watering system, all in all clean and beautifully displayed

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Jason...I am really disappointed that you would make a statement like that on a public forum.

I might ask what you have done to help improve conditions at the National Arboretum? Wasn't it just a year or so ago that funding was pulled or significantly slashed??? As I am sure you are aware, the National Collection is not a private enterprise and as such relies on our support.

The collection is one of the few public faces of our beloved hobby/art/craft. One in which I know you are invested deeply with your time, efforts and most likely money. Perhaps if more people like you were more interested in supporting the cause as opposed to publicly talking down about it the collection could be something we could all be proud of...

just a little food for thought.
John

Hey John,

Sorry I struck a nerve with ya..... I fully understand that the collection is great asset to promoting and educating the public on bonsai. I understand that and think it is a good thing and this is the first time I have ever made a comment about the collection, good or bad. I am in no way saying anything bad about the principles of the collection, just that in the past the trees have really gotten away from what they once were. This is due to the fact that it is a government entities and the amount of administrative work heavily takes from keeping the trees in the condition they once were. It isn't anyone's fault, just a byproduct of typical government BS.

It is good to hear though (in a few posts back) that the trees are starting to turn around. This is nice to hear and I am sure many have put in countless hours, time and money to make that happen. I applaude them.

Jason

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the last time that i was there (national arboretum), October, the bonsais appeared much better taken care of than previous visits. met the curator, and he seems committed to preserving them. there was some construction going on to improve the watering system, all in all clean and beautifully displayed

That was my experience this year as well versus last year.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That was my experience this year as well versus last year.

It should be noted that there was no curator to speak of for part of last year. A changing of the guard so to speak. So with out direction at the helm things were bound to get a bit untamed in the transition.

Even so I would stack this public collection up against any other in the US. The good folks at the National Arb have done a great job, even with the constraints they must deal with. Kudos goes out to the locals as well for volunteering there time to help with the collection.

Out of curiosity Jason have you been to the national collection when making comparisons?

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just to be clear, my point was that I've noticed a significant improvement in the quality of the trees at the National Arboretum. Didn't mean to be critical or anything like that. The collection is fantastic, and I'm glad to see things are on the upswing.

Top Bottom