I'm getting overwhelmed about wintering my new trees-any advice it appreciated.

ersmith6

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in zone 7 specifically in the Piedmont region. I have the following trees that are going in an unheated storage shed once they drop their leaves: myrtle, nana dwarf pomegranate. I plan to water only once the roots get dry and maybe take them out for fresh air on warm days. Any problems so far??? Also I have a seedling Japanese maple with beautiful moss covering the surface. I'm concerned that the frost will kill it but keeping it in the shed or under a bench would kill the moss-should I sacrifice the moss and store it? The same goes for a new one year old willow oak that's about six inches tall...so many questions and I really don't want a single man down. Help please!

ersmith6

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alsoooooo I have several trident maple seedlings that I've planted in mini mame style pots. Will they die if left out?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't let them dry out completely. The roots still need moisture unless frozen. The moss will come back in the spring. An unheated garage in zone 7 will be fine for a JM.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You've been given great advice...I water less in the winter. I'm in a colder zone...but, water my trees once a week if not frozen. And if frozen...I check back sooner than a week to see if thawed out. Also...when we get snow...I toss it on the pots. Not sure if you see snow or not being a zone 7.

Moss verses tree...tree always trumps. Moss will recover when it warms again. Just like it does in nature. But...always tree trumps moss.

Good luck...getting through your first winter is always nail biting...the unknown. Once you get through that...you breathe easier...and stress less. But from the above comments seems your good. I might add a thermometer to gauge the inside temps on a warm day. Mine has an indoor alarm that goes off if it reaches the set temp I have for it...I still open my windows in my cold greenhouse to keep it from getting to warm. So that is food for thought possibly. But once in...don't remove them until they are ready to come out.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Resist the temptation to think you have to warm the trees up...even if you feel cold yourself. Lose the moss. The trees need the cold dormancy. No in-and-out dates during warmer winter days....whatever winter is in a zone 7 anyway. What state are you in for zone 7? (You might add that to your profile.) Anyway...during dormant time they require little moisture....and the trees will be pleased that you're not making them sleep in a wet spot...especially when it's cold out. Forum members here know a lot more about dormancy and tree needs than I do though....so give a listen to what they tell you.

I had seedlings in small pots one year (I'm a zone 5 + - temperature type though)....my seedlings were American Elm....I was not sure how well developed the roots were....so wanted some protection. I simply placed the plastic pots inside a couple (double layer) paper grocery type bags, put sand in the bag up to the pot rims, and then left them in an attached garage. Keep in mind that where I am we can have -10 to -20F winds outside in winter. I've tried various in-the-garage plans.

After awhile, after a couple years of trying the in-the-garage storage, I changed to leaving trees outdoors surrounded with a mesh fence (blocking deer, rabbits and mice common in my area) and covering the fence sides with a wind block. I found that my attached garage was actually to warm for keeping the trees coldly dormant. The back wall of the garage faced directly south and whenever the sun did come out it warmed up to much. Vehicles in and out also warmed up the area. So. I changed. I began to dig holes and use the earth up to the pot height. I also just mounded up soil around pots when digging was difficult. I try to place this storage in a somewhat shaded area so it remains colder. Any moisture needed was provided by nature. The cold outside seemed to retain moisture for quite awhile. I like nature to help me out in the winter.

My biggest issue in dormancy is not the cold....it's the mice. I devised ways to keep mice out....but let snow, air and moisture in. I had a lot of fun Googling bonsai winter storage and seeing what creations have been used....from quite-exotic to not-exotic-at-all. I am a believer of letting nature work during the winter though. I just help set up for nature.

I don't really know...but don't imagine that zone 7 actually gets that cold for to long of a time....cold like in lengthy dormant time cold. You're likely much different than my conditions. You might have more difficulty "keeping" it cold for a lengthy time.

ersmith6

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in NC in the piedmont region. Our winters here aren't too bad but we definitely see consistent freezing temperatures around winter. I'm putting all the seedlings in the shed with the pom and myrtle and hope for the best while keeping the soil moist but not dry. Should I bring the myrtle and pomegranante inside to start budding if we have a late winter with staggered frosts?

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
ersmith6 first I would encourage you to add your location to your profile. This is important because advise normally depends on species and location. Secondly come join us at the Triangle Bonsai Society. There you will find others of like mind, both newcomers and those well experienced. Also Aug 6th at the NC Japan Center there will be a Summer Festival and we will have several of our bonsai there with folks eager to answer questions.

Normally our trees, except tropical are left outside year around. The are often placed out of the direct wind and some out of the winter sun. Smaller trees in smaller pots are mulched in with pine straw, chips etc. It all depends on just what you have. Give a shout with species and size and what type of soil they are in. Pictures are always a big help.

And welcome!

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I do lots of seed research because it's hard in the tundra of 4b, aren't you in the prime location to leave them outside? LOL, I hesitate to say don't protect them cause you never know. I would leave them outside, unless you are protecting them from animals down there like tieball...Panthers and such. :p I'm going to have to put my cedars somewhere's...deer chew them down pretty good (Which might be a good thing).

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Resist the temptation to think you have to warm the trees up...even if you feel cold yourself. Lose the moss. The trees need the cold dormancy. No in-and-out dates during warmer winter days....whatever winter is in a zone 7 anyway. What state are you in for zone 7? (You might add that to your profile.) Anyway...during dormant time they require little moisture....and the trees will be pleased that you're not making them sleep in a wet spot...especially when it's cold out. Forum members here know a lot more about dormancy and tree needs than I do though....so give a listen to what they tell you.

I had seedlings in small pots one year (I'm a zone 5 + - temperature type though)....my seedlings were American Elm....I was not sure how well developed the roots were....so wanted some protection. I simply placed the plastic pots inside a couple (double layer) paper grocery type bags, put sand in the bag up to the pot rims, and then left them in an attached garage. Keep in mind that where I am we can have -10 to -20F winds outside in winter. I've tried various in-the-garage plans.

After awhile, after a couple years of trying the in-the-garage storage, I changed to leaving trees outdoors surrounded with a mesh fence (blocking deer, rabbits and mice common in my area) and covering the fence sides with a wind block. I found that my attached garage was actually to warm for keeping the trees coldly dormant. The back wall of the garage faced directly south and whenever the sun did come out it warmed up to much. Vehicles in and out also warmed up the area. So. I changed. I began to dig holes and use the earth up to the pot height. I also just mounded up soil around pots when digging was difficult. I try to place this storage in a somewhat shaded area so it remains colder. Any moisture needed was provided by nature. The cold outside seemed to retain moisture for quite awhile. I like nature to help me out in the winter.

My biggest issue in dormancy is not the cold....it's the mice. I devised ways to keep mice out....but let snow, air and moisture in. I had a lot of fun Googling bonsai winter storage and seeing what creations have been used....from quite-exotic to not-exotic-at-all. I am a believer of letting nature work during the winter though. I just help set up for nature.

I don't really know...but don't imagine that zone 7 actually gets that cold for to long of a time....cold like in lengthy dormant time cold. You're likely much different than my conditions. You might have more difficulty "keeping" it cold for a lengthy time.
Definitely this here in zone 6A. Some more cold hardy trees were left unprotected on my balcony and they are just fine. Protection in the ground was provided to JMs , mulberries, ginkgos and little shohins...

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I do lots of seed research because it's hard in the tundra of 4b, aren't you in the prime location to leave them outside? LOL, I hesitate to say don't protect them cause you never know. I would leave them outside, unless you are protecting them from animals down there like tieball...Panthers and such. :p I'm going to have to put my cedars somewhere's...deer chew them down pretty good (Which might be a good thing).
Panthers....now that's one animal I've not worried about.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We just have poor man's wolf here....coyote's.
They like to prey on cats and dogs. There are tons of the things around.
I've seen some large canine tracks way out on a powerlines over by you before. Closer to Mancelona. You sure there aren't any wolves?

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I've seen them out near the roads, i thought they were coyotes but i'm not a guru on wild animals. You can hunt both now right?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can kill coyote's year round. No wolf hunting yet but farmers are pushing for it.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@ersmith6 - Doug B is an excellent source of advice, he is close to your climate zone, and will have a better sense of what will do well and what won't. If you are in zone 7, be skeptical of advice from us in zone 5 or 4 and be skeptical of wintering advice from people in warmer zones. Reason is that each zone poses unique problems with wintering trees. So pick Doug B's brain on what he would do. If any of your tree are used as landscape plants in your area and areas north of your zone, that is a sign it might be possible to just keep them on the bench or on the ground. I would set them in a spot sheltered from winter sun, and wind. You put them in the shade to slow or prevent freeze - thaw cycling. Trees like to freeze, and stay frozen, to cycle daily between freeze at night and thaw in the sun is really rough on a tree. In the shade you will have less of this. Talk with Doug, attend a local meeting, ask locals what they do.

I know pomegranate can survive cold down into the middle 20's, but I am not sure how cold you get. My pomegranates in zone 5 are left out until frost knocks the leaves off, then put in a cold unheated well house, where temps stay above 32 F and usually below 40 F. Often in late winter, way too early to put outside, it will start to grow. I move it to my light garden set up for orchids. Growth indoors is weak, & leggy due to insufficient light, but when the ground is cold it is usually only a few weeks early, then it goes outside. If it wakes up unusually early, and spends too much time in the light garden, when I put it outside, I cut off all the spindly growth that occurred indoors, and let it re-bud out and start with a "second spring flush". If the tree was healthy going into storage, this is not a problem.

For non-north american readers, in the USA panther is another name for mountain lion also call a cougar. It is an entirely different species than the South Asian and African panthers and leopards. They run about 125 to 175 pounds of vicious fury. A big cat that can not be domesticated, somewhat more dangerous than the lion. Especially 2nd and 3rd year male cougars will wander thousands of miles before establishing territory and settling down. Cougar sightings have come in from the entire midwest off and on over the years. Their population is coming back up from the low populations of the 1950's & 1960's. They are expanding again into the former native range. We also have 2 other big cats, extremely rare in the US-Mexico border regions of New Mexico we have Jaguar, and somewhere else along the same border we have Ocelot.

Wolves, I know the upper peninsula of Michigan has a healthy population, didn't know they made it into the lower peninsula, but its cool that they did.

Sasquatch - I know Sasquatch, I married her daughter. :rolleyes: Not really, I only dated her, actually never did get married. I ran away just in time.

Top Bottom