I'm going to be in Vero Beach, FL

CrookedToast

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Howdy folks, I'm still pretty new to the art, but have hung around the Albuquerque Bonsai Club now for about a year.

I'll be in Vero Beach, FL (in-laws live there) for about a week and am curious where I ought to go to have a look at some cool nursery stock. I suppose I'd have the nursery ship it to me back in New Mexico if I bought anything, but figured I'd at least have a look in person! I've never been to a bonsai-geared nursery.

Thanks!
J

--------Edit---------

I've seen a fair amount about Jim Smith's Dura Stone Nursery, though I can't seem to find his website. Given that it's directly located in Vero, it seems I could make that one happen easier than I could anything that requires significant driving time. Anyone have experience at this nursery?

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@aml1014 might have some stuff better for your climate than Florida...

Sorry...Welcome to Crazy! There's 2 dope trees in a contest.....ahem....
Sweep that under the rug for now...ahem...

Anyway....

Unless you got a greenhouse.....
Or weather I'm unaware of....
Or somehow think you're NOT going to fall in love with some shit you shouldn't in Florida and find yourself in a world of hurt needing to go from 0 to able to take care of it....

Satiate your need in your Climate first.

Blow your bonsai budget at home first!

@AaronThomas is back...
@abqjoe ...
@PiñonJ
@milehigh_7

Talk with these people about excellent appropriate stock for you before you fall in love with some big bottom girl in Florida.

IMO.

Sorce

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Agreed with Sorce! ^^^

I enjoy living in a cold winter climate, having lived in Florida for all my life until 2016. All those trees I dreamed of before (or kept in the fridge), Japanese maples, Japanese white pines, and fir,I can actually grow now.. I have, however, found myself increasingly tempted to venture back into some tropical stuff again, and judging how poorly the houseplants I bought last summer have done inside this winter, I sure need to have a better plan than a $10 aluminum shop light, a spray bottle and a window before I start buying premnas and black olives and such.

CrookedToast

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Agreed with Sorce! ^^^

I enjoy living in a cold winter climate, having lived in Florida for all my life until 2016. All those trees I dreamed of before (or kept in the fridge), Japanese maples, Japanese white pines, and fir,I can actually grow now.. I have, however, found myself increasingly tempted to venture back into some tropical stuff again, and judging how poorly the houseplants I bought last summer have done inside this winter, I sure need to have a better plan than a $10 aluminum shop light, a spray bottle and a window before I start buying premnas and black olives and such.

Maples and pines are high on my interest list. I'll probably start there, though the maples will probably need to be indoors for my winter.

CovertNeo

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I come down to Port St. Lucie every spring for baseball spring training. This year we stayed in Vero Beach. If you are a true baseball fan, check out Dodgertown! We’re actually leaving back for VA tomorrow.

Anyway, about a 30-40 min drive south is a bonsai nursery I visit every year and is the highlight of my trip every year! Check out Dragon Tree Bonsai nursery: http://www.dragontreebonsai.com Reach out to schedule your visit.

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I dont sell anything but if you want to see 200 large trees come on over to East Orlando. You (and anyone actually in bonsai!) are welcome and I work from home so always here.......... Happy to help ship your shit too. ;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dont sell anything but if you want to see 200 large trees come on over to East Orlando. You (and anyone actually in bonsai!) are welcome and I work from home so always here.......... Happy to help ship your shit too. ;)

That is a Generous Offer!

To go round there....ahh!

Your place is wicked awesome!

Much better insight and safer than going to a place of....sales...no matter how kind or thoughtful they may be!

Ben Awesome!

Sorce

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
I really need to swing by there.

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I really need to swing by there.

Then, before your 250th post here, commit to making a visit. :) Shoot me a PM, set a day!

It's a bit odd, it's almost like pulling teeth to get people to see the garden in general lol

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There isn't a single type of maple that I am aware of that needs to be kept indoors (protected) in a zone 7b. In fact, maples, and hardy trees in generally should never be kept inside for more than a couple days, except where "inside" includes winter storage in a garage or shed.

Crookedtoast, as a maple and pine enthusiast, you are actually very fortunate to be in a zone 7. Many species in both genera do great in zone 7. Trident maple and Japanese black pine would be good species to start with, and possibly Japanese maple, if they can tolerate the intense sun exposure there.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
If you're wanting a tropical and plan on building a greenhouse I have a few nice ones for sale that are already acclimated to our climate out here in New Mexico. Just depends on your budget though.....

Top Bottom