I'm gonna make brooms.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Next spring will begin the third growing season for some of them.What I would like to achieve is to transition from sacrifice branches to actually start pinching regularly the tips of shoots leaving 2-3 leaves.Then around early summer defoliate.I want to take care of the leaves also for a nice autumn.I am going to not fertilize nitrogen while the first flush or so pushes cause' I really need short internodes.When I do start fertilizing it is going to be a weak dilution of organic with every watering.I am also going to experiment with spraying the foliage with trace elements often.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks good! Nice work, I'm curious to see what they look like under the leaves.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks good! Nice work, I'm curious to see what they look like under the leaves.
Thanks.I really want them to look good without leaves.I sprout a crop of them every year and learn a bit each time.Second growing season was full of sacrifice branches to make all branch thickness equal.That seems priority right now.And hopefully build a nice frame work.

Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well,it is that time of year.I am doing a two phase wrap with this years crop.First zip-tie,then wrap with ribbon.It went good.I will wrap with ribbon next week.Some turned a bit crooked,so I will have to straighten with some heavy gauge wire.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 187

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bole comparison

I was able to get the bole of the trees almost an inch longer on this years crop of zelkova.The ideal is 1/3 the eventual tree height.I am going to aim for yet taller ones in next years crop.
Somewhere around post # 58 I explained how I do it,concerning the deep shade I sprout them in.

Here is a good comparison from my first attempt and then this years.A 17 month and a 6 month zelkova.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Season start and finish comparison

Here is season start and finish comparison.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 162
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 170

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That's a respectable year. Will you be shortening the secondaries a little more in the spring? They look relatively long.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's a respectable year. Will you be shortening the secondaries a little more in the spring? They look relatively long.
Thanks,Brian.I thought it would be best to wait till' spring to do anymore shortening cause' I figured the buds will swell more in late winter and I know where to cut better.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks,Brian.I thought it would be best to wait till' spring to do anymore shortening cause' I figured the buds will swell more in late winter and I know where to cut better.
I had noticed that sometimes the first node only leafs and does'nt bud on a given shoot.Maybe that had something to do with my errattic approach on this tree this season.Through better technique I am hoping to have more predictable,fluid growth next season on this tree and especially the new,taller ones I've sewn this year.I am going to keep them all though until I have too many of them and then start culling the pack for the straightest and nicest looking.Thanks again!

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Right on...looking forward to seeing another couple years of growth.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They're looking good Cmeg. Are you working the roots too? If not, at what point are you planning to?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They're looking good Cmeg. Are you working the roots too? If not, at what point are you planning to?
Thanks,Dan.I will be working the roots in spring on all of them.The three 17 month ones are definately in need of a re-pot,their first actually.I could tell during late summer by the condition of the leaves that there was probably tons of roots in the small pots.Also on the 6 month ones that I've sewn this year ,some of the trees are raising out of the pot.I noticed since I switched to all organic fertilizer with every watering,that there is more root growth.Thanks again.

Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Comparison of wrap methods

I like using zip-ties alone instead of fumbling with ribbon to wrap these up.I was able to wrap them tighter and quicker.We will see how they set up with the tighter wrap.I may remove it on one a bit early to make sure they aren't too straight.I also applied wire to straighten some of the crooked ones.
Here is a comparison from last fall and this fall's approach.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 162
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A week of color on one tree

Here is all the color on this tree from 10/29/13 through 11/5/13 .So many stages,I can't decide which I liked best.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 131

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am going to keep growing a new batch of these every year and keep the straightest.I am considering layering the ones with ugly roots/bole to make smaller trees.Perhaps an informal broom or globe of zelkova in the shallow pots.Here is my first attempt at a photo montage.The original photo with a quarter too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 144

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Plans for 2014

The tree on the left,in both photos,seems to be the best of the 20 month olds.I only had three at that stage.Some I do not like are going in the ground for air layering trees in the future.I have ten of the thinner 8 month olds.
I am also sewing seed again this year for ten more trees.I am going to aim for the absolute longest trunk sections I can achieve ,so I can get bigger trees with this method and let sacrifice branches go longer.
Somewhere around post #79 titled 'sacrifice branches' is a method of sacrifice branches that can be employed on these trees.
Around post #58 is the method to sprout from seed the favorable long trunk or bole section.
Around post #55 is first year technique and an explanation of it being quite simple.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Shortened the secondaries

Jeesh! All kinds of winter left here in my area.Well,I know it is not that bad,but I am getting a tiny bit impatient.I followed the advice of another member,and felt the need to trim it up a bit for growth this spring.Buds have swollen over the winter and I took it back to a minimum.
Here is a before and a couple front and back after's.Though if everything goes as planned there really will not be a front or back to these trees as I am aiming for a broom form.
Here is a picture of the deep cold frame the rest of them are in.Quite frosty as you can see,but consistent temp in the shade.
Nothing but moss on the tables now.
We are getting close to repotting time.Their first actually.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Your zip tie method looks like it works pretty well!

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Utilizing all the seedlings

There is no getting around the fact that this technique will yield some unexpected tree forms,not turning out as planned.I am constantly on the lookout for ways to deal with this situation.
The first technique would be to just remove the upper part of the tree that is not proper looking in the picture below marked at the red line.I feel confident it would re-bud and I could have a second chance.And if it is too short ,I could air layer it down to make a broom globe without a bole.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Top Bottom