I'm gonna make brooms.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My 1 year zelkova's video

Just wanted to share a video of all my 1 year zelkova's.
They seem to be growing nicely.Leaves are hardening on some of them.
I am going to let grow and probably focus on equalizing the primary branches,emphasis on grow.
Here is the video link. https://vimeo.com/94711156

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A 2 year zelkova video

This is my favorite tree for the growing season.
You can see it as it looked at late winter pruning in the photo below.
Probably going to let this grow and continue developing the primary branches with a couple hedgings.
To see it's current condition,here is the video link. https://vimeo.com/94711358

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 112

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking good! I need to show you some of my maple brooms. There small shohin. What size your growing these too?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking good! I need to show you some of my maple brooms. There small shohin. What size your growing these too?

Maple brooms,that sounds cool.
Right now I will be glad to have 1" trunk zelkova's with a somewhat dense crown on them so I can defoliate and create super colors for autumn.That does not seem too hard.
Others I may grow out pretty good in second year phase and see what is possible.I would have to set on the ground then and stake(leave in the colander though).

Take a picture of your maple,would love to see!
Thanks!

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I saw the video...That is why I asked about the primary branches. Branches are grown and cut back to create movement and taper...or at least that is how I do them.
Some people grow a branch and cut it back almost to final size and then develop secondary branches...

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The moss update

I wanted a covering of moss for upper soil moisture in summer.
In late April at repotting time I put a layer of innoculated shredded orchid moss on the soil(first photo).
I ended up removing it the very next day because it was holding too much water.
It turns out that the pots were successfully innoculated by just being in contact with the orchid/live moss for the one day.
The pots have a covering of moss in only two weeks.So, I learned I only need a sprinkling of the innoculated shredded orchid moss.I then innoculated the remaining two pots today with just a very fine layer(third photo).
I am glad because the trees are planted on the upside down clay saucers in only 1.75" of soil.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 109

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Crazy me brought from Japan several varieties of moss for the pots.

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not to hight jack but here the maples I was talking about cmeg1. Brooms are fun. I took pics today while I was thinning these two out. I got a few more to do: (
1.is before shot
2. Is branch work
3. Is after a 50% defoliation
4. Is a before and after side by side before I work on second tree:p

Brooms get dense so a lot of work. Or you'll loose the whole tree. These two actually developed dead spots. Now I got to rework them.

But brooms are fast rewards: )

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 142
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Not trying to steal your thread, but this is what you have to look forward to...religiously pruning to maintain growth. These trees put out lots of growth and can be ruined very quickly if you don't keep on them. This is a 12 year old tree with 3-4 weeks of growth pruned off. You literally have to comb out the growth to prune it properly: Otherwise the interior growth gets shaded out.

Attachments

• IMG_6990.JPG
    IMG_6990.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_6989.JPG
    IMG_6989.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_6988.JPG
    IMG_6988.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_6987.JPG
    IMG_6987.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 162

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First flush sacrifice growth

I have been observing the nice,short first few internodes on the first growth flush this season.
On all my trees(1st & 2nd year trees) I want to let the first flush extend as long as I safely can and then cut back to them first few super short nodes that I so like.
The only problem was that they would blow off the tables.So,I bought wire plant supports and placed all the zelkova's in my Coreana Hornbeam area(on the ground).
It is quite crowded,but it's a temporary home.
I am glad I planted the zelkova on upside down clay saucers in the colanders because there is lots of roots growing out of them.They will not reach the earth thanks to the clay saucers.
I am hoping to bulk them up a bit.
Hopefully I can get two hedgings out of this season.On the second,I would then like to equalize the branch thickness and cut back in the fall.Would be nice to get all that in one season.We'll see.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 119

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Zelkova #9 video

I am just having fun with the videos.This one is a 1st year zelkova.They are currently on the ground in wire plant cages,so they can grow a lot to bulk them up.
You can see the season start picture below.
Here is the video link how it looks presently. https://vimeo.com/96350892

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 86

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Zelkova #2 video

Here is a video of a 2nd year zelkova.Ditto with the approach.
I feel more organized this growing season on all the zelkova.If I wasn't so erratic with this tree last year,it would be more advanced probably in girth and possibly branching too.
You can see in the picture below the way it looked at 1 year.
Here is the video link ,now a 2 year old tree. https://vimeo.com/96350528

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

SlowMovingWaters

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Please do keep posting updates.

Most people do not describe with such in depth pictorials as seen here. It can and probably will serve as an invaluable resource for newbies in the years to come.

Great work!

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Please do keep posting updates.

Most people do not describe with such in depth pictorials as seen here. It can and probably will serve as an invaluable resource for newbies in the years to come.

Great work!
Thanks,glad you like it.I just hope the videos are playing in cellular and not just wifi.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Zelkova #2 update video

This 2nd year zelkova has been growing for around 3 weeks this season.I am considering to let this first flush just continue and cut back hard in the late fall to the nice and short first nodes.
There is 3 nodes in about a half inch at the start of all the shoots.
Then again ,I am still undecided because there is some branches that may not lengthen at all,the runts.There is not too many of them though because the growth is fairly even on his tree.I may just do a typical hedge approach with two flushes.On the second flush I can concentrate on getting all branch thickness equalized by late autumn cut-back.
This tree will grow setting on the ground in the nice plant supports.I will prop the branches up on them so they grow and harden upright.
The pictures below show the season start and also current stage in the plant support.

You can see the video of current development stage in this link. https://vimeo.com/96959542

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are you trying to bulk up the branches or start ramification?

Bulk, you let them grow long, then cut back hard.

Ramification, you prune back to 2 leaves, let it get to 6 or 8 leaves, then cut back to 2. You may even cut each larger leaf in half to allow more light inside.

The problem with the bulk technique is zelkova tends to swell up where major cuts are made. So your branches will look "knobby".

Cutting back more frequently means that when you trim back, you're trimming lightly lignified wood. No big scars, no knobs. Your branches will be thinner, but more elegant and refined looking.

Zelkova are best shown in the winter when the delicate ramification is shown to it's best advantage.

Since you have so many, you may want to divide your stock into separate training methods. Group A you use the Bulk method. Group B, the ramification. After a couple years, you will see which gives you the results you want.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are you trying to bulk up the branches or start ramification?

Bulk, you let them grow long, then cut back hard.

Ramification, you prune back to 2 leaves, let it get to 6 or 8 leaves, then cut back to 2. You may even cut each larger leaf in half to allow more light inside.

The problem with the bulk technique is zelkova tends to swell up where major cuts are made. So your branches will look "knobby".

Cutting back more frequently means that when you trim back, you're trimming lightly lignified wood. No big scars, no knobs. Your branches will be thinner, but more elegant and refined looking.

Zelkova are best shown in the winter when the delicate ramification is shown to it's best advantage.

Since you have so many, you may want to divide your stock into separate training methods. Group A you use the Bulk method. Group B, the ramification. After a couple years, you will see which gives you the results you want.
Thanks,Adair.I think I am going for a season of bulk.With the size of these trees,I guess I cannot build the primaries forever.
The vision I have is a crown that looks like I spent a few years on it before I started ramification phase.That is what I want.Some substance.
I hope I can get the trunks to 1" status before I start ramification.In some ways I may be trying to prolong the sequence of building primaries.I definately do not want knobby primary branches.Thanks for the warning.I'll be sure to observe closely.
Bad batch of seeds this year,0 germination.I've taken twenty-four cuttings.I hope they strike.
So I have 12 zelkova's currently growing.
I like the ramification on the zelkova in the picture below from the net.
Thank you so much for some words of wisdom.It has brought a few things in perspective.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 126
Top Bottom