I'm gonna make brooms.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Utilizing all seedlings

The other technique involves layering.I could air layer and remove the bole( as I showed before in this thread,but I will show again) to make a sort of informal globe of zelkova.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 133

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Utilize all seedlings

The other technique I am thinking about involves layering too.Introduced by another member on the forum.Some trees will undoubtedly be planted in the ground.I can then strangle a trunk section with wire and let the wood grow over the wire and bridge.I could then air layer just below the resulting bulge and make some small trees with basal flare.I could make a ton of them as the zelkova's grow very quickly when planted out.
The photos below are a maple from the internet I do not own.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

Evilman626

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The other technique I am thinking about involves layering too.Introduced by another member on the forum.Some trees will undoubtedly be planted in the ground.I can then strangle a trunk section with wire and let the wood grow over the wire and bridge.I could then air layer just below the resulting bulge and make some small trees with basal flare.I could make a ton of them as the zelkova's grow very quickly when planted out.

Iv read the thread or article (cant remember) that those pictures originated. It was showing how to create a sumo. When I layer in the ground I use a single wire and wrap it around the trunk, after about 2 years ill repot trimming the old root system leaving the new. This will stimulate the new roots to really kick in and refine. The following year ill cut off the old root system. This will give you a good start to great nebari also leaving a little flare at the base.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
cmeg1,

I had a broom zelkova that had developed a large bulge at the chop, but it did have nice branches. Owen Reich and Boon both suggested that I air layer the top off. I did. I was hoping the trunk section would re-sprout, but it didn't. I'll take a picture of my new clump style zelkova forest tomorrow if I get a chance. I haven't done the root work on it this year. I may have to see if I have to induce some more roots where it just calloused over and didn't root at the original layering.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Funny, I have these exact pictures saved on my phone for reference. I'm hoping to try some maple cuttings or seedlings this year.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
cmeg1,

I had a broom zelkova that had developed a large bulge at the chop, but it did have nice branches. Owen Reich and Boon both suggested that I air layer the top off. I did. I was hoping the trunk section would re-sprout, but it didn't. I'll take a picture of my new clump style zelkova forest tomorrow if I get a chance. I haven't done the root work on it this year. I may have to see if I have to induce some more roots where it just calloused over and didn't root at the original layering.
Wow,I almost forgot about bulging at the chop site.I am going to take the advice I read about in one of Naka's books.He said you can wrap it tightly with twine when the chop is made.I am not sure if these little trees will bulge.I will see where the branches sprout.Man,wish your tree would of budded after the layer you made.Would of been nice to make some more branches on that tree.The nebari was definately on it's way.Assuming it was the one with the hose clamps and the root laid out.Thanks!

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Funny, I have these exact pictures saved on my phone for reference. I'm hoping to try some maple cuttings or seedlings this year.
That is funny.It is great to just be able to save a photo for future reference.Gotta love the net!

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bunch of 1 year zelkova's

Here is the result of the 2013 germinated zelkova's.I just got done removing the zip-ties.I have ten of them.I am happy with them.
This growing season I am going to let sacrifice branches go on these to equalize vigor and branch thickness and build the basic structure.They are going to get a round of root work as soon as buds are ready to open too.
These and the rest of them are going in colanders I have prepared.I attached a clay saucer to the bottom of the colanders,so I can have a very shallow root pad which I think is nicer looking for these small trees.I can also let sacrifice branches grow much more vigorously as the colanders are better suited to this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Leafing out.

I root pruned all 12 of them.I removed over two feet of circling roots from each one.Seems all will be ok.One more season and I should be able to eliminate every last runaway root since they will grow in the colanders this season and get more fibrous.Glad they are in colanders now and glad I will be growing another crop here real soon in colanders from the start.
Thinking about letting these grow quite a lot from the start this season,perhaps a hedging approach to thicken them up a bit.We'll see how it goes though cause' I want equalized branch thickness from the start.Maybe I will hedge the 2 year olds that are already equal branch thickness.
I put some shredded orchid moss on the surface and innoculated with live moss so I hopefully can have a carpet of moss by summer.I think I will need it when these pots are full of roots.Which should not be long at all.

update 5/10/14. I added two more photos.I ended up taking the innoculated orchid moss off the pots the very next day because of holding too much water.
It turns out that I only needed a sprinkling of it anyway.
The pots were successfully innoculated from being in contact with the shredded orchid/live moss for just the one day.
The pots are covered with live growing moss as a result just two weeks later.
I then innoculated the remaining two pots with just a fine sprinkling of the innoculated shredded orchid moss(the last photo).That should work for them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like this thread. Funny I always thought you were a lady until a saw the hands in the pics. The weird reason is, because of the meg in your username. Weird I know funny how the mind works.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like this thread. Funny I always thought you were a lady until a saw the hands in the pics. The weird reason is, because of the meg in your username. Weird I know funny how the mind works.

Glad you like the thread! Yup,I am a guy.
It is definately a learn by doing approach with the zelkova trees I grow every year.Thanks

Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool sumo zelkova's

Finally,some cool zelkova techniques for me from this awesome blog another member pointed me to,it updates daily. http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/fwnt1093/MYBLOG/yblog.html/
Funny I do not see some interesting different zelkova's ,until now.I am gonna' go for it with my extra seedlings that go in the ground and such.
I was excited to see that the person is using the same sacrifice branch techniques that I have employed on my zelkova last year.I guess I am doing something right.
I explained the technique around post#79 titled'sacrifice branches
Here are the persons pictures I got from their blog.( not my trees)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 145
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
This is how laarge zelcova brooms are made in Japan....and small ones from start branches are developed. They are tied up in winter like picture.

Attachments

• 072 (550x413).jpg
    072 (550x413).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 185
  • DPP_0204.jpg
    DPP_0204.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 183
  • DPP_0210.jpg
    DPP_0210.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 013 (3) (413x550).jpg
    013 (3) (413x550).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 012 (3) (394x550).jpg
    012 (3) (394x550).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 181

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is how laarge zelcova brooms are made in Japan....and small ones from start branches are developed. They are tied up in winter like picture.

That is great Neli.Thanks.I have been doing the second method you show in the photos by wrapping seedlings up.I am liking anything zelkova now,especially the smaller ones and neat techniques for them.I continue to start from seed every season and hopefully improve my techniques and learn more.Here is some pics from this season.
I prefer the use of colanders now too for growing them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 117

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice thread! I am going to start a broom soon, but from a thicker trunk.
Will be checking this thread often :D

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Colanders are great. Since you have almost a production line...here are some pictures for you.
BTW the most prised trees in japan are trees grown in a small container all their lives.
I did not find the picture i wanted you to see

Attachments

• 011 (3) (413x550).jpg
    011 (3) (413x550).jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 362 (550x413).jpg
    362 (550x413).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 141

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Colanders are great. Since you have almost a production line...here are some pictures for you.
BTW the most prised trees in japan are trees grown in a small container all their lives.
I did not find the picture i wanted you to see
Yes,the colanders do a great job.My starts this year are going in colanders from the get go.Here is the 'production line' for the one year olds.
Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 136

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Test. https://vimeo.com/94579626
Yup,my first video.Shows this tree in it's current state in the link above.
The photo below shows it from last fall.Was quite the ugly duckling.I was going to put it in the ground.
I pruned it in late winter and it started to grow and I think it has a future now.I want to evolve into a hedging approach to build this up.The trunk is a bit curved too,so it may be layered at the top of the bole at some point for a globe type broom.
Thanks for looking at my test video.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Looking good...have you thought of chopping back the primary branches?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking good...have you thought of chopping back the primary branches?

Thanks.I think I am going to let grow to get vigorous and then cut back leaving the first short nodes of current season growth.I may only gain a few nodes this season.
Do you have fast enough connection to see the video link?I hope so.
It really was a test video,but I chose to leave it.In the future I hope to make quality videos to convey a certain aspect of the trees or technique I may be using with the trees.
This is one of the first trees I made and was really quite erratic with my approach to it's creation.But it seems all is not lost.

Last edited:
Top Bottom