I'm gonna make brooms.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They look great! Especially that first one!
Thanks,Eric.It is funny.I just rotated the first tree 180 degrees and the image popped out at me.
I will wire again this Autumn and try to accentuate the form it is taking on.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm glad you are keeping this post updated, such a joy to read.

A quick question, when do you remove the cuttings from the propagator?

I always struggle with this decision, too soon or too late and it dies

Thanks
Thanks,Akhater.I will continue to update this thread.Makes a nice way to spend time on some days after work and making photos of trees.
I wait till' there are roots growing out of the drainage holes of the 72 cell propagator before I uproot the cuttings.
I enjoy making the many cuttings.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
From what I have gathered there are a few people trying this method of making small broom Zelkova from seed.I thought I would share the only way I have learned in the past three years that works.

First year technique is essential so I copied it from earlier in the thread:

First year technique is quite simple.
-Sprout from seed in complete shade so they grow leggy and have unusually long trunks,deep shade.
-When first two true leaves stabilize,transplant to a grow pot and put in sun/part-sun.
-When they split in the -V- shape,which occurs naturally,let each side grow to 5-7 leaves,then cut back to 4 leaves.(each stem).
-If one side of the -V- is weaker,it don't matter,just start trimming the other side(as explained below) while the weak side catches up to 5-7 leaves.
-After you cut back to 4 leaves,cut the top-most 4th leaf leaving 1/3 of the leaf,cut the 3rd leaf leaving 1/2 of the leaf,cut the 2nd leaf leaving 2/3 of the leaf ,and leave the bottom leaf whole.(each stem)
-Remove 1 of any opposed leaves pointing at each other and clashing from different stems.
-Repeat this process of cutting and restraining leaves all season(just keep repeating these steps).They keep sprouting.
-In winter,tie up the branches with the ribbon and cut off to appropriate height(the trunk should be 1/3 of eventual tree height).
-Done.
This whole technique is to be done in first season only.I left the pictures of their first growing season.REMEMBER, sprout from seed in deep shade so they get unusually long before the first two leaves stabilize.Untie the ribbon the following Spring when you bring them out.
Have fun.Hope this helped you.*Plant seed with sharp end and root sticking out straight down*for straight trunk.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The second bit of technique I learned is that you can more than likely start defoliation during their second growing season( which I did not do) I guess you have a choice there.
Here is what my trees looked like in the beginning of the second season at 1 year.I wish I would of started defoliation then.But,then again I would not have some of the forms I have now if I did.
But if I would have,I would probably have every last tree still.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 169

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The third bit of info that is important is to definitely use wire in the autumn after leaves fall and leave it on till' June of next year.Do it every season with the fine branches and you will find you use less and less every time.It definitely improves the trees and by trimming in Autumn and late winter you introduce taper.

Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So,here we are with the fourth bit of info.
The only way it seems to grow these small Zelkova, that I have found,is through defoliation.
And the only way to get the beautiful small internodes is to let first flush grow until it reaches 8-12 or so leaves on each shoot all throughout the tree,then cut back to 2-3 real nodes and defoliate same time.
First flush is important because it always sprouts with nice short internodes.Let it grow until defoliating time 8-12 or so nodes.
Then repeat this process as many times as you can in a season.Let the flushes grow out each time ,like the first flush ,then cut back to 2-3 real nodes then defoliate same time.
Hey, that is what I am doing and why I kept the four trees I did.Cause' it works.
As far as I can see pinching only creates huge 3" nodes that feel like a waste of time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok,so here are the four trees that I want to spend time with and kept today.
The older photo of Zelkova #12 is currently in first flush still and I am excited to cut back and defoliate tomorrow.I will post the outcome.

I will be starting a new thread for my Zelkova adventures.I am really excited about my cuttings.I will have about 38 of them here soon that I made.I am going to make small Zelkova and apply the proper techniques that everyone has showed me and I have learned.
I want to say thanks!
to the individuals who have helped me along the way.You have been a real help and now I can enjoy these tiny trees and continue to learn.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 162
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 161

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here are the missing photos for post #263 of first year technique.o_O

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 147

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great write up, thanks for the effort

I will be updating my thread later today... maybe it time to cut back

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Adair M did the hose clamp work from 2012 haven't seen and update but won't lie just looked for the picture lol
No.

So, I air layered it off! To make a clump. The air layer took, I've been letting it grow ever since. It's on the back burner, I'm just letting it get strong.

I'll probably mess with it again next spring.

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
No.

So, I air layered it off! To make a clump. The air layer took, I've been letting it grow ever since. It's on the back burner, I'm just letting it get strong.

I'll probably mess with it again next spring.

Damn was hoping that would be a new trick to help with many things like reverse taper. Sorry to hear @Adair M that was a good looking zelkova.

I have 2 from Matthew ouwinga. One was a tag-a-long got them this spring ones a seedling that took this year other may be 2 years old has 1/4 inch trunk.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, it was pretty good looking. But I'm striving for better than "pretty good"! Lol!

Top Bottom