I'm hooked but don't know where to start

puravida

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi gang,
A random trip to the local nursery resulted in about a week of exuberant bonsai searching on the internet; I've seen more youtube videos and done more window shopping of bonsai trees than I care to admit...
I've decided two things: one, I would like to purchase an indoor bonsai for my future office, still several months away. For now, I've decided upon a Jaboticaba simply because I like the way it looks more than most of the typical indoor bonsai. I would love to try a Acer Rubrum, but from what I gather, the indoor/outdoor thing is probably a bit much for my first entry into bonsai.

Also, I have family land of around 80 acres near Charlotte, and can gather any wild tree I desire for bonsai. So my questions are as follows:
1. As a beginner, can anyone point to a good resource for gathering trees from the wild? I know a little about taper and the like in terms of form that are aesthetically pleasing to me, but I'm completely baffled by the process. For example, suppose I found a great little cedar or red maple trunk on a six foot tall tree. Can I simply dig it out and trim it back to a foot high?
2. Are there any regional trees (cedar, dogwood, sycamore, etc.) that lend themselves to bonsai better than others?
3. Is there anybody in my area that likes to collect trees from the wild that would be willing to show me the ropes when it comes to yamadori?

Thanks!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

regional trees

Someone from over there probly checked in.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Don't buy any indoor except a fig of your choice. There are many forms which people unfamiliar the family would be surprised to know are close cousins. Research these: Ficus burtt davii, South African FigFBD 2019_1222EditRepot0007.JPG
Ficus 'Dutch Treat'
FDT L 2019_1218Edit0032.JPG
Ficus Benjamina (golden variety)
FGB 20190303_143912.jpg
Ficus microcarpa 'Green Island'
FGI 2018_0821AABSshow20180009ab.JPG
Ficus microcapa 'Green Mound'
FGM FGI 2018_0821AABSshow20180009a.JPG
Ficus Tiger Bark
FTB 20200128_163417.jpg
Ficus orientale
FO 20190304_164943.jpg
Ficus neriifolia (Willowleaf)
FW 2007 FSBC Show.JPG
There are many more varieties of Figs. They are very forgiving of light and watering conditions. They are the best starter trees for beginners. Do not fall in love with others until you learn more about the routine care involved.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi gang,
A random trip to the local nursery resulted in about a week of exuberant bonsai searching on the internet; I've seen more youtube videos and done more window shopping of bonsai trees than I care to admit...
I've decided two things: one, I would like to purchase an indoor bonsai for my future office, still several months away. For now, I've decided upon a Jaboticaba simply because I like the way it looks more than most of the typical indoor bonsai. I would love to try a Acer Rubrum, but from what I gather, the indoor/outdoor thing is probably a bit much for my first entry into bonsai.

Also, I have family land of around 80 acres near Charlotte, and can gather any wild tree I desire for bonsai. So my questions are as follows:
1. As a beginner, can anyone point to a good resource for gathering trees from the wild? I know a little about taper and the like in terms of form that are aesthetically pleasing to me, but I'm completely baffled by the process. For example, suppose I found a great little cedar or red maple trunk on a six foot tall tree. Can I simply dig it out and trim it back to a foot high?
2. Are there any regional trees (cedar, dogwood, sycamore, etc.) that lend themselves to bonsai better than others?
3. Is there anybody in my area that likes to collect trees from the wild that would be willing to show me the ropes when it comes to yamadori?

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum and the hobby! I remember well how it was to be new to it and all the excitement and enthusiasm that comes with it (I've been doing about 18 years now and I still feel this way).

As for collecting trees, some are definitely easier than others. Conifers are typically a lot harder to keep alive after collection. Deciduous trees are generally a lot easier. For many D-trees you can cut them all the way down to a stump and they will bud back. You can't do this with a conifer (except maybe Redwoods or Bald Cypress). When you collect the tree try to get as much fibrous roots as possible. You can typically cut the tap root back as long as you've got enough fibrous roots to sustain the tree. Collect trees as the buds are beginning to swell as this is the time that the tree has most energy. When you pot it put it in a container that is just big enough to fit the roots. Overpotting can keep the soil too wet and lead to root rot. Pot it in VERY well draining soil. I cannot stress this part enough. Bonsai require well draining soil to prevent root rot. I wish I had learned this early on but spent way too long trying to grow my trees in inferior soil. There are numerous soil threads on here just do a search. Secure the newly collected tree in the pot with wire so it won't move at all. Any movement can damage newly formed roots. Finally, place it on the ground in the shade for a few months until you see strong growth. Water only as it begins to dry out.

As far as species are concerned, I can't help you much. I live in CA and am not familiar with your local species. I have heard frequently on here that the Eastern Red Cedar or Juniperus Virginiana is horrible for bonsai and most people say don't even waste your time. Hopefully someone from your area will chime in with species information.

Finally, find a local club. This is one of the best things you can do to learn bonsai. There is no better way to learn than with face-to-face interaction and hands-on experience. This forum is great but there's no substitute for the real thing!

Hope this helps.

Cory

puravida

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you guys so much! I'll definitely look into the figs. I appreciate you showing me the wide variety...misfit; thanks for taking the time to post all that! Advice I'll take to heart...I'm thinking that I'll go scouting this weekend, and take photos of trees that might work. I'll post them here for advice before going further.
Really appreciate the help!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The Bonsai Learning Center in Mooresville would be a great place to start. They offer lessons from first timers to experienced workshops. A little bit of education and guidance will save you tons of time and heartache.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does the office have grow lights. I have had some success with a nice grow light and a Jaboticaba but it spends the warm months outside.

Acer Rubrum can be outside all year where you live. That makes it easier than any indoor bonsai. In general if you pick the right trees for your location outdoor bonsai will always be easier than indoors. For some reason beginners seem to think indoor trees are easier.

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi there,

I was where you are now about 2 months ago. If there is one piece of advice I've received that I would share, it's join a club. My local club is amazing!

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The Charlotte club (Bonsai Society of the Carolinas I think its called) is a good one and your best resource. I also highly recommend the Bonsai Learning Center. If you take their workshops (where you get a tree at least), you're bound to have MUCH better trees from the beginning. Not to dissuade you from collecting (although...), I'd imagine its going to be difficult for you to keep your hands off the trees you will have recently collected if you don't have a bonsai or 3 to work on. Might as well start with quality material. The club and BLC will be a good start toward that.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jaboticaba is an excellent under used tree with a beautiful exfoliating bark similar to crape myrtle. It responds well to wiring, guying and clip and grow. It does however require high light. Much more so than ficus which is by far the easiest bonsai to grow inside but they do all look pretty ficusy, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I have dozens of ficus and one Jaboticaba.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I looked up the Bonsai Learning Center in Mooresville. That seems like an awesome resource @Adair M ! I agree with @misfit11 also. Find a local club and go there, talk to people, etc (even if it is over an hour, go; we have people coming from Canada to our club mtgs in Rochester Hills, MI). Don't think everyone there is an expert though. People will speak to newcomers like their opinion is the gospel truth so beware of blindly following someone's advise. Use your own brain and sense of esthetics also. Also, you've got much more temperate weather there than for eg, MI so go for the ones that stay out all year long like junipers and pines and deciduous varieties. Don't invest too much in plant material off the bat. See if you can keep things alive primarily. A live stick in a pot is more desirable than a beautifully styled and potted tree which has tons of work done to it in one season that dies by the next year (although that has teaching potential!).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi gang,

Thanks!
Gathering trees from the wild is NOT--repeat NOT--a great entry to bonsai. It requires a separate set of "non-bonsai" skills, mostly getting the tree to live once dug up. Any conifer is mostly a dead tree if dug up by someone with no experience with bonsai. The "cedar" you're considering is likely Eastern Red Cedar, which is crummy bonsai material and not worth the trouble, especially if its going to die in a week after you dig it.

SKIP THE YAMADORI for at least a year. Just because you can collect, doesn't mean you should at this point. You can go out with experience people and WATCH how to do it. However, the actual digging of those trees is a very short part of a very long process. Getting the tree to live for more than a year is 95 percent of collecting...those people digging the tree aren't the ones who will overwater it, or overwinter it improperly. You will be the one to make those mistake --and you will make them. EVERYONE makes them.

Before you start digging holes in the family property and wasting trees, while learning how to care for them (and you will lose your first couple of trees because of improper care), cut your teeth on an outdoor species. Get an actual bonsai and learn how to repot it, learn how to prune it, learn how it responds. learn the ins and outs of how soil works. How to water is THE most difficult part of bonsai learning. Learning to do it properly can take years. the vast majority of dead bonsai are dead because of improper watering.

And FWIW, "indoor" trees are actually HARDER to keep than "outdoor" species. In choosing a tropical indoor species because you want to keep it in your office is setting yourself up for failure. indoor bonsai are subject to extremely harsh conditions, low light, no air circulation and humidity that is below that of a desert. You're fighting all of that, while trying to learn how to care for a tree. Start with a bulletproof "outdoor" species such as a Chinese elm. elms can take a ton of abuse and learning and remain alive.

puravida

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you all for the invaluable sharing of wisdom. Awesome community and resource, and thanks for taking the time to post.

I have several years where I worked as an arborist and then a few more as a landscaper in my early twenties. Bonsai is obviously a specialized knowledge in itself, but I have a little bit of knowledge that should at least help me figure out WHY I kill the tree after it's all over!

I know that bonsai indoor (barring a ficus) is a bit sketchy. So I have decided upon acquiring four different trees, and alternating them inside.

I have already collected an oak (before I came back to check the advice on this forum to not do exactly that...Mea culpa 'Rock M' and others, i value your advice). I found two that were bush-hogged every year for who knows how long next to a path. I took a horrible photo of it that does it no justice; but take my word it's beautiful. It's also covered in lichens. I scratched the bark and it's very much green.

I have read so much conflicting advice on oak yamadori..."wash the roots and submerge in water" don't touch the root ball but snip the tap root" "don't so much as breathe on the tap root or it will die" "keep as much of the original soil as possible" etc...
So I simply took up the oak next to it (which is ugly but around the same size and in the exact same soil) planted it with some good well draining soil- along with the giant lump of clay the root ball was weakly clinging to- and planted and watered it. If it doesn't die, I will try the other one.

Anyway, here's the picture of the tree, albeit a poor one that doesn't show how truly awesome it is. I also included a picture of the new buds.

Attachments

• bon buds.jpg
    bon buds.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20200308_180309.jpg
    IMG_20200308_180309.jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 49

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you are really looking for tropical, Campbells Nursery on South Blvd usually has some potted in ceramic with at least basic styling, some more. Bonsai Learning Center is the best resource in the area for classes, supplies and inspiration. Only open by appointment.

Regards,
Martin

puravida

Seedling
Reaction score
If you are really looking for tropical, Campbells Nursery on South Blvd usually has some potted in ceramic with at least basic styling, some more. Bonsai Learning Center is the best resource in the area for classes, supplies and inspiration. Only open by appointment.

Regards,
Martin
That's actually the nursery I was walking around that sparked my interest. Ended up talking to their resident bonsai guy easily for 30 minutes

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you all for the invaluable sharing of wisdom. Awesome community and resource, and thanks for taking the time to post.

I have several years where I worked as an arborist and then a few more as a landscaper in my early twenties. Bonsai is obviously a specialized knowledge in itself, but I have a little bit of knowledge that should at least help me figure out WHY I kill the tree after it's all over!

I know that bonsai indoor (barring a ficus) is a bit sketchy. So I have decided upon acquiring four different trees, and alternating them inside.

I have already collected an oak (before I came back to check the advice on this forum to not do exactly that...Mea culpa 'Rock M' and others, i value your advice). I found two that were bush-hogged every year for who knows how long next to a path. I took a horrible photo of it that does it no justice; but take my word it's beautiful. It's also covered in lichens. I scratched the bark and it's very much green.

I have read so much conflicting advice on oak yamadori..."wash the roots and submerge in water" don't touch the root ball but snip the tap root" "don't so much as breathe on the tap root or it will die" "keep as much of the original soil as possible" etc...
So I simply took up the oak next to it (which is ugly but around the same size and in the exact same soil) planted it with some good well draining soil- along with the giant lump of clay the root ball was weakly clinging to- and planted and watered it. If it doesn't die, I will try the other one.

Anyway, here's the picture of the tree, albeit a poor one that doesn't show how truly awesome it is. I also included a picture of the new buds.
Yeah, um good luck with the white oak. They're very hard to get out alive even for experienced collectors. They don't like root work at all. I'd put this off until you've worked with less sensitive species. hornbeam and/or any kind of elm if you must indulge yourself and kill trees now ;-)

Also do yourself a favor and make a trip to Randy Clark's Bonsai Learning Center. it's just outside of Charlotte.

It sells trees and gear at the Potomac Bonsai Society show and sale every spring here at the National Arboretum here in the D.C. area. I've seen some very nice older trees, collected trees and starter stock. I've bought trees from them, as well as pots, tools and other stuff. Very knowledgeable people with an eye for good stuff...Prices can be steep or very reasonable, depending on what you're looking at.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Also do yourself a favor and make a trip to Randy Clark's Bonsai Learning Center. it's just outside of Charlotte.

Its not Randy's anymore, but you could do a lot worse than working with the current owners. They're good guys and have worked with me a number of times.

Top Bottom