I'm in a pissy mood, chest clearing needed

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
maybe this forum needs a "critique" subforum or post, where you post your pictures and get honest critique pointing out the bad parts
We already have that...anytime you want, anywhere, any forum.

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah.
Did anyone notice Smoke asked for a drink for Thella, and Brew comes in, but just talks shit about roots, c'mon brew, what would grandma do?

WWGD? She tell the bunch of you old cranky fogies to quit yer' bitchin' get your ass off the computer chair and get back out in the garden!;)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
WWGD? She tell the bunch of you old cranky fogies to quit yer' bitchin' get your ass off the computer chair and get back out in the garden!;)
It's still 90 degrees out side here at 10 PM. No thank you...

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
It's too pointy, the pot sucks and the trunk has no taper.

This made me chuckle. A lot of people would just say that's a nice bonsai. Afterall it is not a bad tree. And that's the standard quintessential bonsai pot. But I can't argue with what you said. You sir have an eye for quality.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I don't even go into the forums; I just click the New Posts button because it shows me everything that has been updated since my last visit. Just a thought.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Tex,

Smoke and I have met. I showed that tree in Oakland last January at the Bay Island Bonsai show, and Smoke and his lovely wife came up to see the show.

Smoke was giving me a poke in the ribs, and since he was in a pissy mood, I thought he might enjoy the opportunity to do so.

By the way, he WISHES he had a JBP of that quality!

Of course, there are faults in any tree. That's one of the cool things about this hobby. No matter how good a tree gets, we can always "make it better"!

And, for what it's worth, I WISH I had some tridents of equal quality as Smke's!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fair warning... I got something out of the wine cellar tonight. This time I know what it is: 1975 Chateau LaTour a Pomerol.

Good stuff. Acidic, astringent, still a little closed. Deep dark red, with rich tannins. Still has a long life ahead. That is, the other bottles!

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Fair warning... I got something out of the wine cellar tonight. This time I know what it is: 1975 Chateau LaTour a Pomerol.

Good stuff. Acidic, astringent, still a little closed. Deep dark red, with rich tannins. Still has a long life ahead. That is, the other bottles!

I like the box stuff it has a spigot. Show me a fancy french Bordeaux with a spigot

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I tried to use one of those new dangled gadgets where you push a needle down thru the cork, and then it pumps compressed air into the bottle, so it forces the cork out like a champagne cork.

But it pushed the cork in!

So I resorted to using a regular old corkscrew. And lo and behold, it worked!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like the box stuff it has a spigot. Show me a fancy french Bordeaux with a spigot
Tex, if you visit the Burgandy wine cellars, they'll offer you a taste of their wine straight from the cask. That's a great big wooden barrel. With a spigot.

I dunno about the Bordeau cellars.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Now that the bottle has been open for a couple hours, the wine has really opened up.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
tete de moine, also a nice cheese with wine

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe Smoke could start a "Tree Flaws" thread where you post your tree and he points out the flaws. I think it would fun and instructive.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried to use one of those new dangled gadgets where you push a needle down thru the cork, and then it pumps compressed air into the bottle, so it forces the cork out like a champagne cork.

But it pushed the cork in!

So I resorted to using a regular old corkscrew. And lo and behold, it worked!
I guess you have a new use for the nut sack. A couple strokes on the needle with the nut sack should let that needle go right in. I have a couple of those and they do work well. I have an ahh-so also and hate it.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like this morphed into something other than the original post lol but just to add something to the original post...

Smoke.... I've ran/been the admin on two different fly tying / fly fishing forums for the past 11 years now. Very popular forums, we have over 44,000 members on the one. And each month I look over the stats for the site and see the same thing. 70% + of all page views on my sites are in the general forum. So I think it works the same here too. When there's tons of sub-forums on a site, people just click on the most active sections like the general sections because they don't have time to click all sections. Just like on this site, bonsia-nut...there's what, 43 sections? IF a member read 1 minute worth of each section, thats almost 45 minutes of reading for the whole site once through, most people wont do that. So members will post where their posts will be seen easily. So members somewhat know that, so they post in that section because they know it will get the most as well as quickest replies.

Just what I have learned from running sites is all.

Last edited:

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Looks like this morphed into something other than the original post lol but just to add something to the original post...

Smoke.... I've ran/been the admin on two different fly tying / fly fishing forums for the past 11 years now. Very popular forums, we have over 44,000 members on the one. And each month I look over the stats for the site and see the same thing. 70% + of all page views on my sites are in the general forum. So I think it works the same here too. When there's tons of sub-forums on a site, people just click on the most active sections like the general sections because they don't have time to click all sections. Just like on this site, bonsia-nut...there's what, 43 sections? IF a member read 1 minute worth of each section, thats almost 45 minutes of reading for the whole site once through, most people wont do that. So members will post where their posts will be seen easily. So members somewhat know that, so they post in that section because they know it will get the most as well as quickest replies.

Just what I have learned from running sites is all.

Whats the point you want to say actually, that its ok because there is an excuse?
The point was (and i agree) that its difficult to search for threads if they are not correctly placed. Perhaps you get more views initially in the general forum but it will last much longer, make much more sense and more helpfull if placed correctly.

And i believe most people press "new posts"on short visit to the site to check and loosing too much time, so it doesnt matter which forum its placed then,
but for the long run, if you want your post to last it must be placed in correct place.

Top Bottom