I'm looking for styling ideas for this Crepe Myrtle Pocomoke

IllinoisSam

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I picked this up at a landscaping yard for $20. I have no experience with CM but at that price I figured what the heck. The current height, from the soil to the top of the foliage, is about 17" and the base of the trunk is about 2". There are four trunks, one is kind of hidden. Style what I've got? Big chop? Re-pot now or leave that for later? at first I thought view #1 was the front, but now I'm thinking it's view #2.

PXL_20220629_185119197.jpg
PXL_20220629_194602697.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd chop the least interesting of the four subtrunks to a proper length for a next segment and see what happens. Use that as a guide for the future.

Sorce

IllinoisSam

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'd chop the least interesting of the four subtrunks to a proper length for a next segment and see what happens. Use that as a guide for the future.

Sorce
That's a kind of conservative way to go. Thanks for the idea.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Where are you in Southern IL? I'm 30 miles or so east of St. Louis. My crepes spend the winter in a detached, unheated garage. The advice I received about chopping them here, was to do it in the spring at bud break.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
You could also ground layer this and have a triple trunk etc, as nebari not great
Charles

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This is the better of the two fronts. They grow like weeds, so you can prune now and still have enough growing season left to get a response.
3AB81E1B-CD25-4572-A518-02B747912FFE.jpeg

IllinoisSam

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Where are you in Southern IL? I'm 30 miles or so east of St. Louis. My crepes spend the winter in a detached, unheated garage. The advice I received about chopping them here, was to do it in the spring at bud break.
Carbondale. We started a little, very little, bonsai club. https://southernillinoisbonsai.blogspot.com/

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice pokomoke. You don't see them with a fat base like that very often. I would do exactly what Brian suggests.

Top Bottom