I'm looking suggestions for trees suitable to my area

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I live in Indiana (UDSA zone 6a). I live in an apartment, so I don't have a yard, but I do have a small balcony which is on the north side of my building. It gets a few hours of direct sun per day, but there's a lot of shade due to the building's overhanging roof.

Right now I have a Boxwood sitting out there that seems to be doing well, but I'd like to find a couple of other trees that would work with my situation. I thought about getting an azalea, but I'm not sure if it would like it or even have enough sunlight to bloom.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
An azalea should do great on your balcony if you have a few hours of sun and bright shade for the rest of the day (no overhanging trees which cause deep shade). Even if you have deep shade, an azalea will survive, but its leaves will be relatively large. Another plant that would do well with your conditions is Camelia. Most other traditional bonsai species need about 4 hours of direct sun per day to thrive, but some of them will do alright in bright shade. Procumbens juniper, hornbeam, and flowering quince come to mind.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Check out any of the understory trees for ones that are more adapted to shade. The Buckeye tree, the Paw-Paw tree and the American Hornbeam and teh Serviceberry tree are a few that are native to Ohio and thrive under a dense canopy with limited light.
In Indiana there are the Dogwood , Redbud and Ironwood whiich are considered understory trees that are native to your state.

ed

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Tossing in the wet rag here, apartment or not one thing to remember is that temperate trees will need cold dormancy. If you can't give it don't try raising them indoors, winter protection will be required if they stay outside, stored in a cooler(outside), burried in the ground, rented overwintering space, etc.. A cool window sill inside won't give the dormancy required for most temperates you might want to use. May want to look at tropical/ semi tropicals.

Top Bottom