I'm new! Don't know what kind my tree is

Cghy.2512

Seed
Reaction score
SO my dad picked up this tree second hand last autumn, I've been following the basic instructions of watering it about twice a week and feeding it in the summer but wanna take better care.
I have no idea what kind of tree it is and couldn't work it out on my own. Also not sure what to do about the lack of leaves on top, there's loads of new ones on the bottom so it's clearly not dying but still. Thanks!

CT Yankee

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
SO my dad picked up this tree second hand last autumn, I've been following the basic instructions of watering it about twice a week and feeding it in the summer but wanna take better care.
I have no idea what kind of tree it is and couldn't work it out on my own. Also not sure what to do about the lack of leaves on top, there's loads of new ones on the bottom so it's clearly not dying but still. Thanks!
A picture's worth a thousand words.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Well so far I'm pretty sure it is a plant, and goes through photosynthesis. Past that its anyone's guess. 😆

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Cghy.2512

Seed
Reaction score
I could have sworn I attached some, woops 💀. I'll get some good pics in the morning

Cghy.2512

Seed
Reaction score
Okay HERE are some pictures haha20220620_082729.jpg20220620_082724.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi2U @Cghy.2512

Make sure to keep that tree outside.
Yew are outside trees and will die if kept inside.

Also, get a chopstick or piece of dowel and stick it into the soil and leave it there. Take it out and look at it every day. Water the tree when it is almost dry. This is a better method that just watering on a schedule and will teach you exactly when the tree needs to be watered

Last edited:

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi2U @Cghy.2512

Make sure to keep that tree outside.
Yew are outside trees and will die if kept inside.

Also, get a chopstick or piece of dowel and stick it into the soil and leave it there. Take it out and look at it every day. Water the tree when it is almost dry. This is a better method that just watering on a schedule and will teach you exactly when the tree needs to be watered
the dowel method... is there a better visual indicator, like a clay dowel or something easier to read?

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
this needs to be cut back to the new growth but you will have a more compact tree :)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
the dowel method... is there a better visual indicator, like a clay dowel or something easier to read?

Just a wood dowel or wood chopstick. If its wet then you dont need water, if its almost dry, it needs water.
Not hard to see that at all

Top Bottom