I'm new to Bonsai not sure what I have

swinggumby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
mou
If I had to guess I think it's a juniper picked it up yesterday with instructions but from my experience with animals the experts are on the forums and half the people selling them don't know what they have. Any help would be appreciated. I'm most interested in what I have how to take best care and how old it is? Pictures coming

swinggumby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
mou
Here are a few pics in att

Attachments

• 20141226_200152.jpg
    20141226_200152.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 20141228_204535.jpg
    20141228_204535.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 20141228_204445.jpg
    20141228_204445.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 47

swinggumby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
mou
I noticed some brown spots on top are those normal?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
First, update your profile so that we may know how best to offer advice.

Your tree appears to be a juniper, procumbus nana, and is not very old, most likely not more than a couple of years.

The soil that it is in looks like regular potting soil and is not the best for bonsai, it needs to be free draining.

It should also live outside, it will not make it for very long inside.

It would be a good idea to repot in the spring into some decent bonsai soil.

John

swinggumby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
mou
Thank you for the help John I have updated my profile. I live in Utah and there is about 4"-6" of new snow fall on the ground right now our Temps make it down to -6F sometimes so I'm not sure if outside would be ideal right now. I did read that my tree needs to be outside a few times a week so I think I'll clear off the snow about twice a week and set it on a table during the warmer part of the day. I've got it directly in sunlight for the rest of the time by a window. My biggest questions left are:

1 do I need to worry about the brown spot in the picture?
2 should I put it outside in my current weather?
3 should I mist it daily and soak the soil once a week as the instructions indicate or is there a better course of action?

swinggumby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
mou
Thank you for the help John I have updated my profile. I live in Utah and there is about 4"-6" of new snow fall on the ground right now our Temps make it down to -6F sometimes so I'm not sure if outside would be ideal right now. I did read that my tree needs to be outside a few times a week so I think I'll clear off the snow about twice a week and set it on a table during the warmer part of the day. I've got it directly in sunlight for the rest of the time by a window. My biggest questions left are:

1 do I need to worry about the brown spot in the picture?
2 should I put it outside in my current weather?
3 should I mist it daily and soak the soil once a week as the instructions indicate or is there a better course of action?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
If you live in Utah and get out in the country at all, you will see junipers growing everywhere. Your little tree will be OK outside. On COLD nights cover the pot with mulch for a little insulation.

Beyond that, the only advice I'd have is the kind the people with new store-bought mallsai hate: Plant it in the ground for 3-4 years and let it develop into something large enough to make a decent bonsai from.

swinggumby

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
mou
If I could I would plant it as suggested but I'm in an apartment that has no dirt just blacktop and my concrete porch I do have some pots I can put it in outside and it sounds like I need to repot it in a larger pot anyways so I may look into what the best soil is and pot size. I'm from Seattle originally so Im familiar with pines. What do you suggest for soil?

Top Bottom