I'm not sure what this is

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm not sure what this is, but I needed to have it. I think it might be a juneberry/serviceberry but I really have no idea. At first I thought mulberry but the bark, buds and leaves are different from what I usually see in mulberries.

20200326_153021.jpg20200326_154109.jpg20200326_154428.jpg20200326_192017.jpg

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you need to have it, have it :)
once it starts to grow it will be easier to recognize.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
20200326_154428-jpg.291469

Looks like flower buds in with the leaf buds in your photo. Post photos as this develops. It definitely could be in genus Prunus, hence the guess above, Prunus cerasifera, by @Woocash is a good one. I have never seen an Amelanchier (service berry or shadblow, Juneberry or a dozen other common names) with pigmented foliage, but that does not mean their are none, just means I haven't seen one with pigmented foliage. To the best of my knowledge, all Amelanchier have white flowers.

So if flowers are pink or have a pink flush, and the foliage is pigmented, it is most likely Prunus cerasifera, sometimes called Sand Cherry. It makes a decent bonsai, has been used in both Europe and North America.

Nice find, keep posting photos.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Amelanchier, even in young trees, tend to have a gray bark, that turns brown when wet. It normally, at least in my experience, is not glossy. Your photo shows a glossy bark, again another clue pointing to a member of Prunus, possibly Prunus cerasifera.

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Interestingly all the buds have turned green suddenly, they're starting to open and they are leaf buds. I've seen this happen in some plants, while I don't know for sure I think they start red because of the weather.

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, it seems to still be alive, whatever it is. I see some stress signs here and there but I'm not surprised, it had a huge taproot that I cut off to fit it in the pot. There were no feeders on the part I cut though, it has some above that point.

20200409_081255.jpg

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Still alive, got a spider mite infestation and lost a lot of leaves, but I put it outside finally and it seems to be holding on.

Top Bottom