I'm stumped

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I usually know my way around a woods pretty well, but these new acquisitions have me stumped. I dug them from a lot that had been clear cut in preparation for building and I don't have a lot to go on for ID. Bark is stringy wood seems like it's of a medium density. None of the stumps of this species were more than 6" in diameter and most left the soil at interesting angles. My first thought was hop hornbeam but the inner bark is RED. I'm really hoping that I didn't waste time collecting something in the cypress family with no foliage on top. Does anyone know of native or naturalized species with red inner bark?20200506_150022.jpg20200506_145943.jpga

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hmmm.. while I was reading the description, my mind went to certain elder species I’ve seen with red through the cross-cut sections.. but as soon as I saw the picture, THAT idea, presumably flew right out the window.

Our native species are going to be QUITE similar. ;) So I am curious, as well.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Red staining between growth rings remind me of Box Elder, Acer negundo.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Red staining between growth rings remind me of Box Elder, Acer negundo.
Ooooh! i’ve got a bigger one of those out back, it got pruned real hard by the city workers.. i want to dig it, but there are gas lines running right underneath.. i’ll check the bark in attempts of id’ing this nice person’s tree.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
On the Negundo I have immediate access to, the results of my attempted ID were inconclusive.

Sorry.

0B498BE7-2373-4689-8032-1F928E49B1BB.jpeg3234A662-C4A4-4DCE-9A00-4F13F4A3F0D7.jpeg

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
On the Negundo I have immediate access to, the results of my attempted ID were inconclusive.

Sorry.

View attachment 301236View attachment 301237
Thank you for your help. While not a perfect fit, box elder is the closest I have come to a match. I did an image search and some of the staining in the pictures does indeed resemble the red the wood of my stumps. I guess I will just have to wait and see if anything sprouts for positive ID.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thank you for your help. While not a perfect fit, box elder is the closest I have come to a match. I did an image search and some of the staining in the pictures does indeed resemble the red the wood of my stumps. I guess I will just have to wait and see if anything sprouts for positive ID.

On an unrelated (but not really) note; are there good clubs down in the fox valley? I’ve been thinking of joining Green Bay’s.. but I’m not entirely sure.

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
On an unrelated (but not really) note; are there good clubs down in the fox valley? I’ve been thinking of joining Green Bay’s.. but I’m not entirely sure.
I haven't been to the Fox Valley club in about 5 years. At that time they had extremely formal (slow mooving) meetings and a strong emphasis on tropicals. The Green Bay club was more diverse and focused more in actually doing bonsai. Now that I have 3 young children I'm lucky to make it to one bonsai event pet year.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I haven't been to the Fox Valley club in about 5 years. At that time they had extremely formal (slow mooving) meetings and a strong emphasis on tropicals. The Green Bay club was more diverse and focused more in actually doing bonsai. Now that I have 3 young children I'm lucky to make it to one bonsai event pet year.

To be honest, both sound nice.😁
I think i will try Green Bay.. it’s closer.. my oldest wants to join too.

Top Bottom