I'm treating for tip blight, is this Phomopsis?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This was repotted this May, and has been otherwise healthy up till this week.

Rainfall is above average but not enough to equal what I normally water and the soil is very well draining.
No signs of mites, so my guess is the root work stressed the tree.
Even affecting the juvenile foliage.

I've started using Bonide granules and spraying with Mancozeb this week.
I trimmed out most all of the effected areas and then some to breathe better.
Most everything is getting the same fertiliser.

Attachments

• DSC_7916.JPG
    DSC_7916.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_7917.JPG
    DSC_7917.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_7918.JPG
    DSC_7918.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_7920.JPG
    DSC_7920.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 74

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry to say it looks like it my friend. Phomopsis tip blight can be a pretty serious disease. It lives in the living branches of the plant and raises its ugly head during periods of high humidity. I remember many years ago seeing whole beds of junipers ruined and torn out. I do remember that beds were sprayed with a fungicide, but I think it was more to prevent spread than to "cure" the disease. It can be spread by wind and rain.
Your best bet is to treat with a systemic fungicide, but I don't know which is most effective. You will need to cut it out sorry to say.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sorry to say it looks like it my friend. Phomopsis tip blight can be a pretty serious disease. It lives in the living branches of the plant and raises its ugly head during periods of high humidity. I remember many years ago seeing whole beds of junipers ruined and torn out. I do remember that beds were sprayed with a fungicide, but I think it was more to prevent spread than to "cure" the disease. It can be spread by wind and rain.
Your best bet is to treat with a systemic fungicide, but I don't know which is most effective. You will need to cut it out sorry to say.

Well poop.
I put Bonide systemic granules on every soil surface every pot
as well as in ground projects.
The Mancozeb should help as well.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Seems to have recovered with a single application of each, Bonide granules, and Mancozeb.
I will treat with one more application for good measure.
20220922_182555.jpg20220922_182610.jpg

The branches are everywhere in a helter skelter way, and needs thinning. I suspect next year it will get thinned and wired.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Seems to have recovered with a single application of each, Bonide granules, and Mancozeb.
I will treat with one more application for good measure.
View attachment 456650View attachment 456651

The branches are everywhere in a helter skelter way, and needs thinning. I suspect next year it will get thinned and wired.
Wow! Good job!

Top Bottom