Important read for Pennsylvania residents -

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The Spotted Lanternfly has been showing up in many locations throughout the State. PLEASE contact your Agricultural Extension and/or Cooperative Extension if you see them or have seen them. These are horrible and I am not even certain they have developed a method to eradicate them yet :eek:

http://extension.psu.edu/pests/spotted-lanternfly

http://extension.psu.edu/pests/spotted-lanternfly/news/2015/host-plants-used-by-spotted-lanternfly

I am in Bucks County and have not seen any and really do not want to!

Grimmy

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lol, the article title "An insect that attacks grapes, apples, stone fruits, and pines", wuhahaha, it's called eating where i live.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yet another introduced critter to deal with. I've been battling bark beetles (shot hole borers, ambrosia beetles) the last couple of years. They've done some significant damage. Emerald ash borer is supposedly in the area. Not really seeing major impacts yet but I suppose it's a matter of time.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Haven't seen any 'round my parts. Been on the look out for the last 9 months

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like an early collected birch of mine has been infected. It was leafing out, then just wilted. Today I saw 3-4 exit holes.
They say its mostly fatal.
CW

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like an early collected birch of mine has been infected. It was leafing out, then just wilted. Today I saw 3-4 exit holes.
They say its mostly fatal.
CW

Time for pesticides, sorry about the tree.

Grimmy

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Red pine scale from the Red Pine beetle has started to creep east and northwards into NH. They have started clearing red pine stands before they get infected and the timber is a loss. Supposedly came over after importation for the NY World fair in 1939. Bugs suck.

Lauren Shisler

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
At least my college is being useful for something!

Penn State is a very good resource. They helped me identify and eliminate a tough bacterial fungal problem here. That bug is death to plants so although "pretty"... well... :eek:

Grimmy

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They haven't shown up here yet, at least not in significant numbers. I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Emerald ash borers, on the other hand, have gone wild and already killed vast numbers of trees including one large ash in our yard. Some people have yards literally full of dead ash trees. Very sad.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am afraid of the southern pine beetle that has invaded here recently and hope they stay the hell away from my pine bonsai

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Absolutely rediculous.....when I look at the .5 acre parking lot of my place of work.......it is like 1000 lanternfly attack.....no over estimate at all......under if anything.

Top Bottom