imported shohin white pine

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Adair . Did you have tried mix with Turface for conifers bonsai before?
Yeah, about 40 years ago!

lol!!!

Turface packs together. It’s particle size is too small, the particles are rather flat. And they stack together.

Boon Mux (APL) has more rounded particles that promote better drainage.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This may be a dumb question about grafting JWP foliage on JBP trunk/branches but I do not know how the process is done, do they graft every single branches or just one branch and eventually the tree will grow out the rest with JWP foliage? Thanks.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This may be a dumb question about grafting JWP foliage on JBP trunk/branches but I do not know how the process is done, do they graft every single branches or just one branch and eventually the tree will grow out the rest with JWP foliage? Thanks.
There’s many ways. But the most common is a single graft on a young JBP seedling. Once the graft takes, the top of the JBP portion is cut off. Eventually, the two parts grow together, so it had JBP roots and lower trunk, then the upper portion and all the foliage will be JWP.

sometimes, several grafts can be placed on the JBP trunk. Lower grafts become branches, and the top graft becomes the rest of the tree.

you don’t have to start with a you g JBP seedling. It’s possible to graft onto any trunk, although as the JBP trunk gets older, the bark gets thicker, and it’s more difficult to get the cambium layers aligned just right.

Reaction score
Yeah, about 40 years ago!

lol!!!

Turface packs together. It’s particle size is too small, the particles are rather flat. And they stack together.

Boon Mux (APL) has more rounded particles that promote better drainage.

Thanks for your advice, you have a nice weekend

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
There’s many ways. But the most common is a single graft on a young JBP seedling. Once the graft takes, the top of the JBP portion is cut off. Eventually, the two parts grow together, so it had JBP roots and lower trunk, then the upper portion and all the foliage will be JWP.

sometimes, several grafts can be placed on the JBP trunk. Lower grafts become branches, and the top graft becomes the rest of the tree.

you don’t have to start with a you g JBP seedling. It’s possible to graft onto any trunk, although as the JBP trunk gets older, the bark gets thicker, and it’s more difficult to get the cambium layers aligned just right.

Thank you Adair!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Something to think about... you might want to see if there’s a branch that you could move to partially obscure a portion of the main trunk.

Look at my two trees posted above, and Felix’s. See how there’s a bit of foliage that partially covers over a bit of the trunk here and there? Doing that 1) creates a bit of mystery; and 2) creates a feeling of extra depth.

Again, that’s another reason I’m wondering if you have chosen the best front. (You might have - as I said, I can’t tell Without having the tree in front of me.
The current ass of the tree might better suit thinking in this manner. The foliage should frame the beauty/highlights of the tree and to shade out some flaws. The graft dosent look bad, nor the lines in my eyes (maybe it’s bc I’ve seen so many done so terribly), although I can see how somebody else might want to hide some of it. Thanks again!

Top Bottom