Importing from California

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey everyone!

Surprisingly I've never considered this, for some reason, but I've got a question about importing trees from California. Who would I need to get in contact with about importing a Ficus from CA and shipping it into VA? Makes me a little nervous that the tree could get stuck at a border..

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There's no problem with stuff from a place with no winter to a cold state. It's only a problem of something that might have pests from a winter state where the pests die in winter, but don't die when they go to a state that grows fruits & veggies, they become a big deal. This is especially true with fruit flies which have a life cycle of weeks. The eggs travel in soil and on roots of lots of plants and can create a plague in orchards and greenhouses so California, Arizona, Texas, and Florida all have restrictions for very good reasons to have no plants enter from anywhere else not certified as pest free.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
My friends buy bonsai from Cali from Fb auction and have it ship here to MD (DMV area) all the time, like every week, no problem at all, he also ship trees to Cali with no problem.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
FWIW- Wigert's in Florida can ship trees to California, but not Arizona. So it all sounds very complicated.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Well, maybe. Still haven't committed but I'm really thinking about it! I'll probably have to give this one a slight chop. It's 12" tall with a 6" base, but doesn't have the best taper...

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ryan! Long time no see on the forum! That tree looks pretty nice. Sweet base!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The base seems dreamy. I'm curious if they have a defoliated image to see the actual structure. I tend to buy my trees by seeing both images. Be it dormant or defoliated. But honestly. Its a nice specimen from the looks of it.

Top Bottom