Importing from Kaizen

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The title pretty much says it all.

I'm wondering if importing from Europe is possible? Or is it pretty much like getting trees from Japan? Kaizen has some really nice yamadori scots that I'd like to own.

Thanks for any info, Aaron.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good luck. Importing trees is nearly impossible. I tried going down that path once. I stopped. Lots and lots of red tape, inspections, licenses, customs quarantine, and more. You're better off looking locally for material.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Simple--ask them. Sometimes modalities are opportunistic and on the down low and only the supplier would know. I would not bother importing unless its something specific and valuable--I'd say $7500.00 would be the bottom minimum to bother with. You could probably get better Scots here in USA for that kind of dough.

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's pretty much what I figured. Maybe I'll get a hold of them and ask anyway. The trees I was looking at are less than 1,000. 7,500 would be out of reach for me, I doubt I could ever pay that for a tree.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's pretty much what I figured. Maybe I'll get a hold of them and ask anyway. The trees I was looking at are less than 1,000. 7,500 would be out of reach for me, I doubt I could ever pay that for a tree.

You can't. They cant ship into the U.S. They state that they cant sell trees to the U.S. on their web site. There are very strict rules on importing plants to the U.S.. Very expensive setups required, and not worth the effort to most sellers.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ditto. You can't import bonsai from Europe, period, is the way I've read the rules. That may be to block a potential loophole on restrictions from Japan, as Europe has more lax plant importation rules than the U.S., Japanese imports are easier to acquire.

If you're after native European material, my question would be why on earth would you do that when the U.S. has VASTLY more trees and species than Europe? The Europeans are pretty envious of our western conifers, for instance. We have more than one or two elm species to work with and hundreds of other species that are probably more amenable to bonsai than that comparative handful native to Europe.

Also, have you ever imported anything from Europe? It can be a huge hassle, or just annoying with customs paperwork and logistics...

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I like Kaizen's materials also. However if you're interested Andy Smith/Golden Arrow Bonsai is a very good source for collected conifers. Reasonable prices and Andy is a trustworthy guy.

Dave704

Seedling
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a US nursery that is still doing 2 year post entry quarantine? According to APHIS importing junipers require a 2 year post entry quarantine. APHIS will not tell me who is active because it is considered confidential and state by state. Yes it is a royal pain to become licensed (but not too expensive)and as most bonsai species are now listed as "not allowed pending risk assessment" not many species are an option.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone know of a US nursery that is still doing 2 year post entry quarantine? According to APHIS importing junipers require a 2 year post entry quarantine. APHIS will not tell me who is active because it is considered confidential and state by state. Yes it is a royal pain to become licensed (but not too expensive)and as most bonsai species are now listed as "not allowed pending risk assessment" not many species are an option.
Brussels

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Brussels imports from Japan. Only a few species are allowed, and contrary to what you posted, it is hugely expensive! Maybe not for the license itself, but for the facilities.

Dave704

Seedling
Reaction score
I have plant and seed import licenses. Before the start of the post entry quarantine requirements I brought plants and trees back from China. Even after APHIS started enforcing the Phyto Certs from the country of origin for hobby quantities (12 per trip), I was able to get Phytos from China Inspection and Quarantine. It has become way to much trouble and there is not much you cannot get in the US. On a recent trip to China I was given a very nice juniper bonsai tree and I would like to get it into my collection even if it takes 2 years and at a high cost. I researched the APHIS requirements for a pre entry, in media, 2 year quarantine facility for a nursery company in China, approved to ship plants in media to the US, however they did not want to tie up the value of the trees for 2 years (and now there are more issues for a lot of species). The cost of the structure can be reasonable if it is small; just put the approved screen over a hobby greenhouse frame, and add the double door entry. Getting approved to be a Quarantine is a government service. Thanks for the article link I spoke to Heather about a previous article she wrote on hitch hiking insects on shipping containers. Unfortunately Brussel was my first call and their quarantine house is not active.
I am hoping there is somewhere in the US that offers this service.
Thanks,
Dave

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Aeast - just thought of something.

Scots is one of the species that Julian Adams grows - he may have some goods one avail for sale. (not collected but his trees are excellent.)

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the heads up, I bought wire from him but didn't know this, thanks. I'll check into it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here’s a Scots Pine I just purchased. Not ancient, probably a nursery tree, but looks pretty gnarly.

Good ones are available here in the US.

2E097E03-5014-4DB7-99DD-2232852F6F3C.jpeg

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Love the bark on that tree! Care to divulge the seller?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Love the bark on that tree! Care to divulge the seller?
I picked this up from Boon. It’s a Scots pine, a dwarf variety, that’s been sitting on one of his back benches for a couple years. I’ve walked past it many times in the past. So, I was looking for a project tree, and chose this one.

It had suffered some fungal disease a couple years back, and all the buds just turned black. So, a lot of time was spent cleaning that out. Since the terminal buds had all died, the green growth you see now came from back budding. And then it was allowed to just grow to get strong.

When I first saw it, I thought it was a Shore Pine, but I think it’s actually a dwarf variety of Scots.

It will be styled as a more storm tossed, wild pine rather than a refined pine.

I don’t know where Boon got it. He buys a lot of stuff from various growers just to have stock on hand. After a couple years, they get worked on a little here, and a little there, and then, they’re ready I get styled!

I bought one tree from him that he had kept for 17 years and never styled! Oh, he cut it back every couple years, but it had never been styled. It wasn’t ready. Then, when it was, it’s magnificent!

This tree:

Before:

B1CE17F1-9756-4811-8F13-D1D705FB402B.jpeg

After initial styling:

0F43CB57-5074-45E7-990C-18BF063382EC.jpeg

Recent picture:

B0A99347-A9F0-414B-ABD1-592155F2A172.jpeg

That a pot I’m considering putting it in next spring.

Top Bottom