Importing into the California Republic

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Didn't know where to put this, so I think I will expand this board to be "Collecting / Importing" to deal with Gov'nmnt regs (which impact you if you collect on public land, etc).

I'm currently trying to "import" 100 Japanese White Pines from Minnesota (which I have always considered a separate part of the world despite assurances to the contrary). There are almost as many regulations now for moving pines between states as there are for moving pines between countries. Initially, my nursery in Minnesota thought they were prohibited from imported into California. I had a nice long chat with the folks from the California Department of Agriculture, and they were actually very friendly and helpful. Seems my pines are ok for import, but they need to be clearly labeled as wholly sourced from the State of Minnesota (to avoid quarantines for European Pine Shoot Moth, Gypsy Moth, and Japanese Beetle) and labeled as species exempt for the quarantine for Cereal Leaf Beetle.

Check out the regulations here:

http://pi.cdfa.ca.gov/pqm/manual/htm/pqm_index.htm#exterior

If you live in California and are shipping in trees from another state, it would be worth your time to become familiar with these restrictions. Otherwise your plants might be seized and incinerated. Trees from the South Eastern states are especially vulnerable - given that the place is crawling with nasty critters of all types :)

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So are you going to share your Minnesota source ;)

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As soon as I get in my trees I will write a short vendor review on them. Of course, that assumes I am able to convince them that it is ok to ship to me.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just to finish up this thread, the trees arrived just fine. I posted a review of the vendor in the vendor feedback forum.

head_cutter

Yamadori
Reaction score
importing trees

I would love to export large tropicals from here in Vietnam and there are no export regs. from here...only the necessary bribes to get the paperwork done. I have downloaded and tried to read the the USDA information about importing to the US from here.

Conclusion:
It was written by attorneys who were under the influence and only they can make any sense out of them.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Bob

bisjoe

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
The strong, difficult regulations in California are meant to protect their forests and also their major economic strength, agriculture from pests that could have serious effects. It's always best to contact them as Nut did and ask specific questions before ordering from other states/countries.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bottom line the USDA regs have become very strict when it comes to bonsai material from China and SE Asia after a shipment of Elms from China was found to be carrying Asian longhorn beetle. The entire shipment (very nice large elms) was destroyed after the importer found and reported the infestation. As such, bonsai is now a known source of potentially harmful insects.

I'm not an export/import expert, but I think the procedure requires a phytosanitary certificate, barerooting and fumigation of specific species upon entry into the US, and quarantine of the plants for up to two years. That quarantine can take place at sterile facilities abroad or certain importers in the US. Brussels' bonsai is one of those importers, from what I've heard.

Top Bottom