Importing trees

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
So, I talked to a guy at work recently who does importing of wholesale goods from other countries. I have gotten to know him a bit and turned our conversation towards bonsai the last time we spoke. Specifically the restrictions for importing live plants and trees, quarantine rules... That sort of stuff because it just blows my kind that we have to go through so much trouble to bring in plants from Japan!

He said you do NOT have to quarantine the plants for two years.. This left me a little confused. I am no wholesale bonsai nursery owner and cannot possibly fill a 20 foot container to make it worth his time and effort to bring in some goods for me, but it did make me curious- can anyone explain some details for me like: why there is a quarantine requirement (i assumed to avoid importing bugs and diseases with the plants..) and what plants/ how long they have to be quarantined?

Specifically what he told me: it is all about customs and what they have "codes" for. If the tree you are importing is 1. Not a FRUIT bearing tree and 2. Has been imported frequently before, you are good to go. If you label the shipment correctly, have a detailed list of contents with codes that customs will recognize, you won't have any delays, they won't make you quarantine anything and you can avoid all that hassle. Now.. This was just a guy talking to me who has been doing this for probably 15-20 years. He IS an expert on importing, though perhaps not importing Bonsai specifically... But he has imported all sorts of living plants and animals in the past... So why would bonsai be different from other species of trees and plants that don't require a lengthy quarantine? I always wonder how do they know if a tree IS quarantined long enough after importing? Could it be the size of his shipments that negates the quarantine requirement? (Meaning do they perhaps have a different clearing process for wholesale orders vs smaller/ individual orders?)

Just some questions I had.. Not planning to start a Bonsai importing business or anything, just found it odd that the guy who is an export on importing said none of that mess in necessary!

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It is my understanding that trees coming from Japan are QT'd in Japan not the US. I know that when I was in planted fish tanks when I bought plants from Japan they would be QT'd for a very long time. I have found out it seems longer for certain species of plants than others.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
The species and country of origin are critical to this discussion. Some species cannot be imported from some countries, yet other species can if quarantined at a certified facility for the proscribed period of time.

Your friend would need to look at the regulations specific to the country of origin and the species being imported.

For example, you cannot import Japanese maples from Japan but you can import Japanese beech from Japan. You can import satsuki azalea from Japan and there are certified quarantine facilities in Japan that are recognized and approved by the USA (which means that imported trees are available for immediate release once they pass through Customs and USDA inspections).

An imported tree must be bare root, meaning absolutely no soil in the root ball.

Navigating the regulations and government bureaucracy is challenging and timing is critical. Any discrepancy or delay can mean the loss of your goods.

There are very few who import bonsai. There is a reason for this. If it was easy, many would do it, and there would be a large supply of quality, inexpensive bonsai material.

horibonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe only Japanese White Pine and Azalea can be quarantine in Japan and do not need to be quarantine in US. It's a immediate release after you receive shipment. Plants from China, Taiwan have looser restriction. Most can be release after received. All plants from any country outside US have to be bare rooted. You should talk to experience freight forwarder on custom codes and restrictions.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You received excellent advise to start with really reading closely for detail, the APHIS website. Your friend is generally correct, many plants and animals can be imported without quarantine. BUT there are MANY exceptions. Bamboo requires a 2 year quarantine. I never imported trees, but I have imported a few orchids. Orchids have an extra complication, they are all on the CITES II registry, and some are on CITES I. This means in addition to APHIS the USFWS get involved also. My only successful importation required 7 documents to accompany the shipment, 5 from me and 2 from the seller. Took 3 tries to get it right. I decided to pay more and just buy my plants from a US based source who does the importing. Getting everything right is no trivial task.

In addition you have the complication that not all port of entries are up to speed on regulations, and where they are not focused on plant imports, they frequently simply refuse entry. In general, if it is a living plant, best to have the plant enter through Miami, Florida, they are the best educated port of entry, and will be familiar with the current regulations. Doesn't matter if you are in California or New York, best to send plants through Miami. If your shipment is more than say 20 plants, it is best to contract a broker to expedite your shipment through customs in Miami.

You could talk with Martin Brussel or David Kreutz, they both import regularly and Brussel's has (or did have) an inspected quarantine greenhouse on their premises. For a fee they might allow you to bring plants in under their paperwork. They may also recommend a broker if you choose to do it yourself. Talk to them, they may give you some valuable insight.

The regulations are complex, species specific and country of origin specific, it is well worth making use of the professionals already doing so, unless you have the time and money needed to do it yourself. It will take more than a couple hours of reading to get yourself educated on what you need to know. The "pros" know what the current rules are and what you can "get away with". Mistakes can be costly.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
... why there is a quarantine requirement (i assumed to avoid importing bugs and diseases with the plants..) and what plants/ how long they have to be quarantined?

If you're interested you can take a look through this regulations page . there's a chart with a list of "restricted plants". As I understand it, that's the list of plants that must go through quarantine. The reason for the quarantine is also explained in a separate column. Hope that helps!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you're interested you can take a look through this regulations page . there's a chart with a list of "restricted plants". As I understand it, that's the list of plants that must go through quarantine. The reason for the quarantine is also explained in a separate column. Hope that helps!

Very interesting... According to this page, the only countries Juniper require quarantine when being imported from are like Austria and Romania... So, by this chart, you could bring them I f to Japan with no quarantine period?

That is one of the prime species I think people in America would be interested in... You can grow a Maple to the size and shape you want in relatively few years... Pines would be another you might want to ring in... But those twisty, cool looking little Junis that seem to be all over Japanese Bonsai shelves are really cool and seemingly not commonly replicated in America!

Funny thou, there seems to be a half dozen different sites touting their authority over imports and all have differing rules and restrictions.. It is pretty hard to tell what is and what is not true!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Actually, I think it says post entry quarantine is 2 years for junipers and you can import them from all countries except Europe and Canada

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Funny thou, there seems to be a half dozen different sites touting their authority over imports and all have differing rules and restrictions.. It is pretty hard to tell what is and what is not true!
Only one of the many different hoops to jump through. Besides Federal rules there are state rules as well. Don was right if it were easy a lot of people would be doing it.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So if I take vacation in Japan, i cant bring trees with me on the plane? (Shohin)?
I have heard that some people had shohin fall in their suitcase as they were leaving the hotel. Some of them did not get inspected and did not pay a huge fine (and had the trees destroyed).
Not sur eit is worth it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have heard that some people had shohin fall in their suitcase as they were leaving the hotel. Some of them did not get inspected and did not pay a huge fine (and had the trees destroyed).
Not sur eit is worth it.

Lol not worth it 😣

Hope theres a better way to get those good Shohin from Japan

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lol not worth it 😣

Hope theres a better way to get those good Shohin from Japan

Buy them from someone in the U.S. that has already imported them. USDA rules are pretty strict but they are there to prevent more invasive insects and disease from being introduced and protect our native plants from them

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wonder how bjorn and other folk export bonsai trees from Japan to here. 🤔
It can be done legally. The trees have to be quarantined for two years. Not all species can be imported. It is costly, and there’s lots of paperwork, and many trees do not survive the barerooting and shipping.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It can be done legally. The trees have to be quarantined for two years. Not all species can be imported. It is costly, and there’s lots of paperwork, and many trees do not survive the barerooting and shipping.

And by 'quarantined', he means kept in a separate greenhouse/facility away from all other plants for 2 full years. Not many places have space and facilities for this

canaangreenthumb

Seedling
Reaction score
The species and country of origin are critical to this discussion. Some species cannot be imported from some countries, yet other species can if quarantined at a certified facility for the proscribed period of time.

Your friend would need to look at the regulations specific to the country of origin and the species being imported.

For example, you cannot import Japanese maples from Japan but you can import Japanese beech from Japan. You can import satsuki azalea from Japan and there are certified quarantine facilities in Japan that are recognized and approved by the USA (which means that imported trees are available for immediate release once they pass through Customs and USDA inspections).

An imported tree must be bare root, meaning absolutely no soil in the root ball.

Navigating the regulations and government bureaucracy is challenging and timing is critical. Any discrepancy or delay can mean the loss of your goods.

There are very few who import bonsai. There is a reason for this. If it was easy, many would do it, and there would be a large supply of quality, inexpensive bonsai material.
those are some of my imported tree from China, almost all of them have soil, and they do not need to be quarantined. sometime i used coconut husk to replace the soil.

Attachments

• WechatIMG157.jpeg
    WechatIMG157.jpeg
    348.4 KB · Views: 70
Top Bottom