Impulse Mume purchase

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just purchased a prunus mume with deep pink flowers from a vendor on eBay. I know from what I have learned that I should have not purchased it because of the outside weather but For $39 bucks I took a chance.
My question is it’s come bare root. Do I put it in the ground or in a training pot?
I no I shouldn’t have but I have been looking for ever and this is the first one I have seen for sale in a real long long time.
Any suggestion welcomed.
Michael
Example of what I am getting.

393D5615-87F5-40C2-BA89-E804590C9182.jpeg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I agree with putting it in the ground. It looks grafted, do you know what cultivar it is?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I saw those as well. It pained me not to buy one, but my wife made me agree no new tree purchases until after this summer's move. :( Could I have snuck it in...yes. Would I have felt good about it...no. Good luck with it, Michael. I will vicariously enjoy it through you. :D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I agree with putting it in the ground. It looks grafted, do you know what cultivar it is?
Sorry can’t tell you but it’s not grafted it’s grown straight from seeds as I already asked that question to the buyer. All he told me was it’s mume and is two years old. but that doesn’t help much. But the flowers look like a Beni but I am no expert by far. Maybe someone else can take a look and let us both no
D712C530-DC96-43E0-865A-6E00A6EC2C8B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I saw those as well. It pained me not to buy one, but my wife made me agree no new tree purchases until after this summer's move. :( Could I have snuck it in...yes. Would I have felt good about it...no. Good luck with it, Michael. I will vicariously enjoy it through you. :D
No worry’s once you settle in I will send you some cuttings so you can enjoy it with me. No problem at all.
Michael

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sorry can’t tell you but it’s not grafted it’s grown straight from seeds as I already asked that question to the buyer. All he told me was it’s mume and is two years old. but that doesn’t help much. But the flowers look like a Beni but I am no expert by far. Maybe someone else can take a look and let us both no
The 'V' is what lead me to think it was grafted. If the grower told you it has flowered........it's nots possible from a 2yr old mume grown from seed. However a grafted mume will flower the very next year.......so take it for what it's worth.

Attachments

• Inked393D5615-87F5-40C2-BA89-E804590C9182_LI.jpg
    Inked393D5615-87F5-40C2-BA89-E804590C9182_LI.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 72
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks when I get it in my hands next week I will share detailed pics. Now that you mention it the seller says red flowers but it’s grown from seeds. Lol that makes no sense to me after your post as he does say two years old. If it’s grafted even better I don’t have to wait 15 years for flowers.
I will keep ya posted next week.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks when I get it in my hands next week I will share detailed pics. Now that you mention it the seller says red flowers but it’s grown from seeds. Lol that makes no sense to me after your post as he does say two years old. If it’s grafted even better I don’t have to wait 15 years for flowers.
I will keep ya posted next week.
Collecting seed from a tree that produced red flowers does not give a 100% guarantee that when the seedlings grow up will also produce red flowers. If there are white or pink mume's nearby there can be cross pollination as well as any nearby apricot or plum (hybridization). The grower is misleading the buyer by saying that.

If your mume is grafted it's not a bad thing..........you'll get to enjoy flowers earlier. But you will need to know the root stock. Mume's can be grafted onto a variety of Prunus rootstocks......Lovell, Nemaguard, Myrobalan, Marianna, etc.. Each rootstock performs differently i.e.....dwarfing, disease resistance, pest resistance, soil type tolerance, suckering, etc. If it's grafted be sure to remove any suckers and match the soil type to the root stock.

Post pics when you get it! Here's some pics of my Kanko bai...

thumbnail_20210120_134014.jpgthumbnail_20210120_134020.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I will definitely post some pics when she arrives. As for your pics the flowers look identical to what I shared and I hope that mine has the same ones as I think it’s amazing. I will definitely be a proud owner of what ever it is. Now I really can’t wait to get it lol.
Michael

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
By they way please keep in mind I am very new to the bonsai world. What is a sucker? Can you provide examples as I have no idea what that is.
Michael

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
By they way please keep in mind I am very new to the bonsai world. What is a sucker? Can you provide examples as I have no idea what that is.
Michael
Not my pic, just something random I found off the net that gives a good representation of what a sucker is. If it's grafted remove any and all suckers as they will draw vigor away from the main plant.

images.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would do something to protect it from the wind if you can.
Depending on when it flowers, it can be susceptible to late frosts as well.
From what I have read about them, they can be sensitive after they flower.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not my pic, just something random I found off the net that gives a good representation of what a sucker is. If it's grafted remove any and all suckers as they will draw vigor away from the main plant.

View attachment 350087
Outstanding thank you I will remove if I see any and I will definitely post pics when it arrives to determine if it is grafted.
Michael

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi everyone

my tree is super delayed and is expected this weekend I hope. The weather in NY will be in the single digits and my question is how on earth do I acclimate a tree that’s been in a box and bare root wrapped in plastic bag for 10 days?
Do I just dig a hole in the rock hard ground and put it in or is there something else I should do? All advice welcome.
Michael

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is a sucker?
Just to make sure, the picture of @Pitoon is very helpfull. It might however give you the idea that suckers must come from the root. Effectively, it is all growth from the plant used as base. So any growth emerging from below the graft union should be removed, and not be allowed to grow out. It is very easy to overlook if in a field, and these take over fast. (I have a similar mume in a growing bed where I only go every few weeks. I had 3 in there. Down to 1 because I missed a sucker one spring. In summer the graft had already died off)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well good news.
I received the mume today and it’s a whole lot bigger than I expected. It seems to be happy. But seeing the weather is below 10 degrees today and tomorrow about 20 I will be holding off in planting her in the ground until Sunday or Monday. I added a little more water to the roots and sealed up the bag.

the root ball looks super healthy and the tree itself appears to be in great shape.

So happy but seeing it’s not grafted from what I can tell it looks like I will be waiting a while for flowers.
Please let me know your thoughts on how I should proceed with styling as I am thinking literita style or informal upright

any suggestions welcomed.
Michael.
15B7930E-42F4-4507-A92D-B6A60A82B61C.jpeg992163C5-6287-4DA7-8BE1-6DE106784A85.jpeg3378EBB2-33CC-44B7-B3A6-697D28D6E56C.jpeg6329CED9-6576-4225-8EF3-8076D5F9F43C.jpegC6A4885D-685A-4A48-B4AC-4F8A82BAE2B6.jpeg51D14045-1945-478E-B5CE-2C28572952A7.jpeg548A8260-BA9F-4FD8-83DD-E8FD78727BDC.jpeg70F3C809-144D-470E-A83C-B30D387FE9B5.jpeg2C5BBF3F-FF59-42CB-BEEE-A8B4B28FBBFC.jpeg

Top Bottom