Impulse Mume purchase

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks great! If I were you, I would plant it in a colander or Anderson tray (something like that), partially submerge that and let the roots grow into the ground. Pull it out every season or two and trim off the escaped roots. that way, you can get significantly more trunk growth over several years, but keep the roots in check. Someone with more experience can either confirm that or just confirm that I do not know what I am talking about.

Much fun!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great! If I were you, I would plant it in a colander or Anderson tray (something like that), partially submerge that and let the roots grow into the ground. Pull it out every season or two and trim off the escaped roots. that way, you can get significantly more trunk growth over several years, but keep the roots in check. Someone with more experience can either confirm that or just confirm that I do not know what I am talking about.

Much fun!
I must say, I have been surprised how little effort it took mine to recover from being dug from a field and placed in a small container. I think just letting the roots go is fine.

As for style.. You have a young plant. Assuming you will let it grow, you have pretty much all upgoing forms to choose from.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well I tried everything possible to dig up the ground today but it’s like breaking cement. So I placed the tree inside a plastic bag with soil as I had not pots and poked holes in it for drainage. I also added soil inside the bags for warmth. Let’s see how it goes as I will need to get into the ground for spring if it makes it. I can’t imagine that it in with soil is any different from being in a pot so I will hope for the best.

Man the ground is super hard

pictures to follow soon.
Michael

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just checked on my tree and it looks completely buried under the snow. I hope it makes it as the branches still feel bendy and not brittle so I assuming she’s dormant and still alive. I really hope this one makes it.
Michael
00E0DA4C-EE1C-4846-95D2-7D4D87BE9C05.jpegBA1CBBDB-0346-44A7-AAB0-76E93042B724.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
trees can take a lot more than we think.
I am sure you are correct. Once I make it through my very first season I will feel better. But next year I will be building a small green house for them as I feel bad leaving them on the ground just enduring all this snow and cold. I can’t wait only 7 more weeks of winter I hope.
Michael

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So jealous of the snow! I loved the (occasional) snowstorms when I lived in NoVa. Everything we get here in southern Utah melts within a day or two. For your trees, the snow provides a degree of insulation and moisture, so leaving it buried in snow is a great idea.

Just checked my Higan cherry, and buds are already starting to swell! Funny how we can both be in Zone 7 but with such different weather. We are 30deg warmer here than Staten Island today!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
This advice is a little late, but I would have just chucked it into the refrigerator. Refrigerator is a good way to hold dormant material shipped from a warmer climate or where you don't know how it was treated to acclimate it for winter. You can keep it in the refrigerator for months, until its time to plant out in spring. Just keep an eye on moisture. Some refrigerators are good at dehydrating trees. Some are more moist.

Keep it wrapped in plastic while in refrigerator.

I know its too late, but file this factoid away for future winter receipts.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This advice is a little late, but I would have just chucked it into the refrigerator. Refrigerator is a good way to hold dormant material shipped from a warmer climate or where you don't know how it was treated to acclimate it for winter. You can keep it in the refrigerator for months, until its time to plant out in spring. Just keep an eye on moisture. Some refrigerators are good at dehydrating trees. Some are more moist.

Keep it wrapped in plastic while in refrigerator.

I know its too late, but file this factoid away for future winter receipts.
Thank you so much. I will Mark this up as a learning experience. The tree did come from aumsville Oregon so don’t know what the weather is like there. The tree is I guess still alive as it’s not brittle and I hope it makes it. Only time will tell.
Thanks again for everything
Michael

Top Bottom