In a bind!

Ryanblaneyfan12

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good morning, afternoon, or evening depending on where you are in the world. Recently got into this wonderful hobby and have been reading, listening and watching everything I can to understand care, styling, etc. One of my Azalea trees seems to be getting a lot of dead leaves and brown ends and even the flower buds seem to be brown on the ends.20210418_085156.jpg I have been watering when needed and not on a schedule, fertilizer has been good and pot seems to be allowing good pass through of water.

My only concern could be a lack of sun due to Massachusetts going through a cold spell with little sun. I bought this tree from a local nursery and the care may have been less than satisfactory so my question is, should I essentially start over so close to flowering season and wait for next year, re-pot, and ensure it gets everything it needs on my terms rather than from the nursery? Any advice or tips would be wonderful! 20210418_085124.jpg20210418_085134.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
🏴
😜
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Ryanblaneyfan12

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I had taken all the brown or wilted leaves off before the photos (remembered I joined the forum after cutting) So I'm probably just to worried and should wait it out? My apologies like I said I'm new to this and may have psyched myself out

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I had taken all the brown or wilted leaves off before the photos (remembered I joined the forum after cutting) So I'm probably just to worried and should wait it out? My apologies like I said I'm new to this and may have psyched myself out
That makes sense. Pretty common for azalea to shed and regrow leaves. Of course different varieties act differently.
Do you know the cultivar?
Nice little tree!

Ryanblaneyfan12

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Unfortunately not, I have to go back and ask so I can reach out get a better idea on how they take care of their younger trees. It's from Mahoneys Garden center but I do know they bring in their plants from different areas. And thank you!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm new to this and may have psyched myself out
Yeah, we all do that sometimes. LoL

You mentioned you're in Massachusetts already, but for future ease, If you click on your username/avatar you can get into your profile, and there you can add in your USDA growing zone and/or location. It can be only as specific as you feel like sharing publicly, but will help folks taylor their advice to your situation.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No more exciting adventure to be had than raising children!
You'll learn bonsai faster than parenting, I guarantee. Use those lessons to inform your child rearing.
A few tips for starters;
1: Patience. That's all. Lots of patience.
2: Work with the tree you have. The more you try to fight the tree's nature, the more it will rebel. Direct your tree; don't control it.
3: Listen to your tree. It knows what it needs, and you know what you want for it. Between the two, you'll find a way.
4: Ask questions. No one is a natural. If they tell you otherwise, they're compensating for their own screwups.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh, and when the kid gets older and inevitably takes out one of your trees, PICK THE KID! Hard as it may be at the time, pick the kid. They're SOOOO much harder to replace.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The brown tip at the center of the last picture is on the flower bud not leaves.

There is but blight that sometimes effects azalea flowers, but I do not know the exact name of it or how to treat it.

If you removed the buds, its not a big deal, you just wont get flowers and some might even say for a tree in development where you want to maximize growth, its a good thing. Making flowers and subsequently seeds takes a lot of energy away from growth

Otherwise, it looks healthy to me.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They shed their fall foliage. Showing fall colors. Then without. But that doesn't effect buds. I've never had buds effected. So I'm wondering what is going on. When they shed their fall foliage it turns brown and falls off. Not black...like you were seeing.
Fall colors
received_428433118230465.jpeg
Once shed for the most part the fall foliage.
received_369167074357149.jpeg
Doesn't look like it's in kanuma substrate...but for buds to turn brown, I wonder if it might help to put it into kanuma a known better substrate for azaleas. (Mine is in kanuma with spaghnum moss as a top dressing to help with moisture. )

Also...look at this watering method. I'm not totally set it isn't a root issue by what we are seeing.

Ryanblaneyfan12

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a brand new bag of Kanuma I just received in the mail.. was just hesitant in taking everything out in fear of putting to much stress on the plant itself so close to flowering. But I may just take a chance and see what happens. Thank you for the pictures and input!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a brand new bag of Kanuma I just received in the mail.. was just hesitant in taking everything out in fear of putting to much stress on the plant itself so close to flowering. But I may just take a chance and see what happens. Thank you for the pictures and input!
Flowers are over rated. They are short lived. Health of the tree is more important. If there is an issue with roots getting it into a better substrate would be ideal. If any dead/rotted roots...address by removing. That said...With known issues. I'm not sure I would allow it to bloom. I might remove the buds to spare energy. Or at very least limit the buds permitted to bloom. One can repot these as soon as growth starts to move, or after bloom. But when possible root issue...to allow it to continue. I find risky.

Ryanblaneyfan12

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Flowers are over rated. They are short lived. Health of the tree is more important. If there is an issue with roots getting it into a better substrate would be ideal. If any dead/rotted roots...address by removing. That said...With known issues. I'm not sure I would allow it to bloom. I might remove the buds to spare energy. Or at very least limit the buds permitted to bloom. One can repot these as soon as growth starts to move, or after bloom. But when possible root issue...to allow it to continue. I find risky.
I made up my mind and have decided to repot with the kanuma and moss I have today.. bud removal has begun and here's hoping for a healthier tree.

Top Bottom