In case you haven't heard--Cold returning

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first full week of April is going to be a beeotch. Hard freezes are possible almost every night next week as a deep trough of winter is being served up for the eastern U.S.

Welcome back to winter
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...x-returns-after-unusually-warm-march/56403894

ALL of my trees are now in full leaf, repotted, etc. I'm probably not alone. My back hurts from LAST week when I had to move stuff into the basement for days then back out again.:mad:

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Did the shuffle back into the garage, hopefully this cold snap will be the last of the season.

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The first full week of April is going to be a beeotch. Hard freezes are possible almost every night next week as a deep trough of winter is being served up for the eastern U.S.

Welcome back to winter
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...x-returns-after-unusually-warm-march/56403894

ALL of my trees are now in full leaf, repotted, etc. I'm probably not alone. My back hurts from LAST week when I had to move stuff into the basement for days then back out again.:mad:

Yeah, I'm right there with you. I've been shuffling them in and out of storage. I'm going to be away from Saturday morning until Sunday evening, so they'll probably all just have to deal with a day in the dark until I get back. The maples in particular have all made way too much progress to risk losing leaves and branches to the cold.

I'm happy for the early spring, but it is definitely a challenge.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Hard freezes at night", LOL...we're likely looking at at least 2 days that stay below freezing up here, along with wind and snow for good measure. Fortunately most of my stuff is still in storage and buds are just beginning to swell on some trees, so it shouldn't be a big problem. Just annoying.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hard freezes are possible almost every night next week

Seems we are in that situation as well but I am leaving everything as is. In the past when we had similar weather the plants did not look any worse when all was said and done. Just one is getting moved into a less windy place as it is the only Rhododendron after a few tries that I have ever gotten to Winter and live outside potted -

IMG_0335.JPG

Grimmy

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's why I'm taking pictures of all my JM leaves....something to remember them with:eek:;)
Back into storage and I'll see how it goes....:cool: Should be able to maintain around freezing in there for a day and a half then after that........:mad:
Good luck with this weather to all!

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is this caused by Global Warming perhaps or El'Nino?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In one sense, it doesn't matter what it is caused by. But...many climate models suggest that as the earth warms (regardless of the cause, it is happening), "unusual" patterns like this will become more frequent. I won't try to describe all the physics involved (I don't understand a lot of it), but models have shown that decreasing ice cover in the Arctic region might, perhaps paradoxically, lead to colder and more erratic winters in eastern North America. The proposed mechanism is a disruption of the jet stream winds caused by changing temperature gradients. Perhaps we're seeing the beginning of this over the past few winters, perhaps not. Only time will tell.

In any case, it looks like the first 10 - 15 days of April are going to be pretty wild in the eastern US.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In any case, it looks like the first 10 - 15 days of April are going to be pretty wild in the eastern US.

It will just make our trees stronger :rolleyes: Honest when I lived in Western New York there was always several "normal" Winters followed by one or two brutal Winters. Sometimes there was as little as 8 years between but never more then 12. Just seemed to be a normal change in pattern. Here we went eight Winters with no need to have Grandmothers place plowed and last year needed four times. This year just once so I suspect next year and several to follow will be back to normal in these parts.

Grimmy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It went somewhere?
It was 83 F a few days ago, according to my backyard thermometer. Yesterday it was 79 F.

50 on Sunday. Lows in the low 30s or maybe below all through next week.

It will just make our trees stronger :rolleyes: Honest when I lived in Western New York there was always several "normal" Winters followed by one or two brutal Winters. Sometimes there was as little as 8 years between but never more then 12. Just seemed to be a normal change in pattern. Here we went eight Winters with no need to have Grandmothers place plowed and last year needed four times. This year just once so I suspect next year and several to follow will be back to normal in these parts.

Grimmy
Freezing will not make temperate deciduous bonsai with leaves on them any stronger, it will kill them. Trees that have pushed leaves have lost 95 percent of their ability to withstand a freeze that reaches their roots. Leaves exposed to frost blacken and turn to slime in a week--this is a sliding scale depending on how long the frost lasted and how exposed the leaves are.

I've been down this road a few times. I've lost trees for not paying attention or had to put up with frost damage for months on some things.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah, global warming causes a late freeze, about as much as I can light my grill with a handful of ice cubes.
I'm sorry , climate change or (abrupt) climate disruption is a better name, or Anthropogenic Climate Disruption. The climate is disrupted so it causes all extremes, and in the end it will get warmer globally, so that's why they called it warming (it was more catchy).

Last edited:

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've been down this road a few times. I've lost trees for not paying attention or had to put up with frost damage for months on some things.

I understand Sir but they are talking about nights in the high twenties to low/mid thirties. That to me says ten or so hours exposed and have never seen problems with the exception of some of the more fragile fully bloomed flowers on the ground or trees. Even those flowers are ok if it is not coupled with high winds. Just how it works here I guess.

Grimmy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I understand Sir but they are talking about nights in the high twenties to low/mid thirties. That to me says ten or so hours exposed and have never seen problems with the exception of some of the more fragile fully bloomed flowers on the ground or trees. Even those flowers are ok if it is not coupled with high winds. Just how it works here I guess.

Grimmy
Are you serious? Don't know what kind of trees you've got, but I know some of mine will go toes up in five hours of freezing with no dormancy protection.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Grimmy
Just hope one of those nights doesn't go clear/calm and the temperature drops to 20.

Generally I've noted that significant damage to most hardy trees begins at about 28/29 F (once they've started to leaf out). At those temps the damage is generally minor if the temps are that low for only a couple of hours. But if it's that cold all night, or it goes lower...watch out.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't really give a shit what it's "caused by."
Yeah, and that's the reason why the climate is disrupted, because noone gives a shit. Growing economy's are more important then a few gigaton's of carbon in the air (each year).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, and that's the reason why the climate is disrupted, because noone gives a shit. Growing economy's are more important then a few gigaton's of carbon in the air (each year).

:rolleyes:Some people just can't really get a clue. Sometime you have to smack them up beside the head...here goes...

I posted this NOT to become the idiotic slugfest over climate warming that you have so graciously opened the door for. I posted it merely to warn my neighbors here on the east coast about next week. I don't really want to hear from bullies on EITHER Side of the argument.

So if you really want to pontificate and make some kind of judgment about others, please MAKE YOUR OWN POST IN THE TEA ROOM.

got this through your skull Skippy?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Are you serious? Don't know what kind of trees you've got, but I know some of mine will go toes up in five hours of freezing with no dormancy protection.

Just hope one of those nights doesn't go clear/calm and the temperature drops to 20.
Generally I've noted that significant damage to most hardy trees begins at about 28/29 F (once they've started to leaf out). At those temps the damage is generally minor if the temps are that low for only a couple of hours. But if it's that cold all night, or it goes lower...watch out.

In the past we had a lot of different trees both potted and in landscape and at times upwards of 150 potted in various stages of growth. The only protection really was they were on the ground and wind protected.
I must say we rarely have a morning at 20F and it is normally pretty mild here. We are located at a midpoint between Jersey Shores and the Poconos and wind is usually minimal as well. When they report a low of lets say 30f here at night it is at least 36f at 6:30am so I "guess" the exposure to cold is minimal anyways.
I never pay it much attention as it seems ok.

Grimmy

Top Bottom