In need of advice from pros.

medlefang

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg So I made a post about a tree I dug up wanting to bonsai, it ended up not surviving the transition and I got a few new plants, 2 which survived transplanting in winter and are thriving, and one I dug up from a tip layer which occurred naturally! So I need a ID on two of the trees and help with the transplant shock the one is experiencing! I already watered it with sugar water... Will it die or no? Also the j. Virginiana, is it looking good? When I transplanted that one the top died and I ended up cutting it off and I have been working on reshaping it for the past couple months. Also my white pot is really ugly so ignore it, haha. It's just a nice starting pot I think :)

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Is the juniper kept outdoors? It should be if you want it to be happy. Can't ID the two trees, but they look like they're in poor soil and could be getting too much water.

medlefang

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Also if you can't ID the one that has shock... I found something online called "Goldmound Spiera" or something like that that looks really similar to the parent bush

medlefang

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is the juniper kept outdoors? It should be if you want it to be happy. Can't ID the two trees, but they look like they're in poor soil and could be getting too much water.
I haven't put the juniper outside much mainly because I like it in the house :) But since summer has started I will put it outside more

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I haven't put the juniper outside much mainly because I like it in the house :) But since summer has started I will put it outside more

It will need to go outdoors year round. That is not an indoor tree.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Your Juniper= Red Cedar "Juniperus Virginia".

Not great for Bonsai, but doable... All your trees are tiny little seedli not anywhere near ready to be Bonsai, but you gotta start somewhere!

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The juniper will die inside for sure. They dislike even greenhouses. And not to be ugly, but those are very small for bonsai. You should get more mature trees so you can have nice bonsai, those will take years. And more so in pots..
We all had to learn this stuff, and I did the hard way. If you want an indoor tree, get a ficus. Theye can live inside and are good learning trees. Im no expert by a looooong shot, just repeating what Ive read countless times. Dont give up! Can you join a club? If I could, I sure would. There are no bonsai clubs in Southern Costa Rica, if you can believe that... Or anything else for bonsai. So I learn here, and you can too. Welcome to the Nut..

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey feller!

Stick around this time!

I think it's awesome you are so young.
Needs to be more of you!

I'm with you on the J.Crack!

And hell....you sure got the time to do anything!

Keep it up!

Sorce

medlefang

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The juniper will die inside for sure. They dislike even greenhouses. And not to be ugly, but those are very small for bonsai. You should get more mature trees so you can have nice bonsai, those will take years. And more so in pots..
We all had to learn this stuff, and I did the hard way. If you want an indoor tree, get a ficus. Theye can live inside and are good learning trees. Im no expert by a looooong shot, just repeating what Ive read countless times. Dont give up! Can you join a club? If I could, I sure would. There are no bonsai clubs in Southern Costa Rica, if you can believe that... Or anything else for bonsai. So I learn here, and you can too. Welcome to the Nut..
I have years of time :) I know there's a club around me but with my studies I don't have time to join one just yet!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Most bonsai are started by taking a larger tree, and cutting it back. Then rebuilding branch structure. It's done that way to get a decent sized trunk to work with.

Will your trees ever grow a trunk? Not in a bonsai pot!

Yes, you have years ahead of you. You should start bonsai by listening to those who have years behind them.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to the nuhouse!

Your the age I was when I started and in the last several years I've learned A LOT.
So enjoy your little plants and learn to keep them alive. In the mean time try to find a tree with a bit more age and start from there. It's easier to make an old tree look ancient then it is to make a stick in a pot look ancient. Do some research and have fun, this hobby can really get you trapped, in a good way though lol

Aaron

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What part of Indiana are you in? Also look up dave bogan bonsai nursery. I met with him a few weeks ago and he is amazing. A wonderful bonsai artist and has an amazing garden and trees for sale. He offers classes and advice. He is a very kind person willing to offer help to anyone interested in bonsai. Look him up.

medlefang

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Most bonsai are started by taking a larger tree, and cutting it back. Then rebuilding branch structure. It's done that way to get a decent sized trunk to work with.

Will your trees ever grow a trunk? Not in a bonsai pot!

Yes, you have years ahead of you. You should start bonsai by listening to those who have years behind them.
Can you possible link me to a tutorial on how to collect a bonsai from the wild with a larger trunk? Most of the ones in my woods either are thinner trunked which will look interesting as they grow, but everything I really want it too big I think! I just need to know how to do it :)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can you possible link me to a tutorial on how to collect a bonsai from the wild with a larger trunk? Most of the ones in my woods either are thinner trunked which will look interesting as they grow, but everything I really want it too big I think! I just need to know how to do it :)
No such tutorial exists, to my knowledge. Too many variables.

Why are you starting with collected material? It's usually easier to begin with nursery material. Things that already growing in a pot. It doesn't have to be expensive stuff.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

medlefang

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No such tutorial exists, to my knowledge. Too many variables.

Why are you starting with collected material? It's usually easier to begin with nursery material. Things that already growing in a pot. It doesn't have to be expensive stuff.
Ah I would love to but nothing has really caught my eye, plus I really want the satisfaction of being able to find one and train it I guess! EDIT: i have thought about buying a ficus though! Since they are good starters, and indoor ones

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ah I would love to but nothing has really caught my eye, plus I really want the satisfaction of being able to find one and train it I guess! EDIT: i have thought about buying a ficus though! Since they are good starters, and indoor ones
Wait...

Nothing at a commercial nursery has "caught your eye", but that stuff in your first post on this thread did?

Honestly, you'd do better starting from seed.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
would love to but nothing has really caught my eye, plus I really want the satisfaction of being able to find one and train it I guess! EDIT: i have thought about buying a ficus though! Since they are good starters, and indoor ones

I'm going to be straight with you here and you may not like it.

The above "satisfaction" statement is basically like saying "I want the satisfaction of being able to drive an over-the-road semi truck" but not being able to drive a stick, or even how a shift works. First things first...

The stuff you 've dug up isn't anything you're going to make into an actual bonsai at least not until your hair starts falling out and/or going gray.. Growing either of those tree out will take a decade or more, if you learn how to care for them. Also Eastern Red Cedar (your first tree growing in the mud and big rocks) is pretty bad material to work with in any case. Doubly so if you have no idea what you're doing.

Commercial nursery material offers the advantage of shaving off more than a few years work in simply containerizing a tree. You can start with more substantial material that will actually offer you the chance to "do bonsai" instead of futzing around for years letting a seedling just grow into workable material.

FWIW, BIGGER material is VASTLY easier to take care of and do bonsai with than tiny, wittle bitty twees. The smaller the tree, the less soil, foliage and trunk you have to work with. They are also extremely difficult for beginners who don't know how to water or do much of anything else. Big trees can take forgetful watering, misguided pruning and a lot of other stuff that's ahead of you.

Miss a watering with a two gallon sized pot and a larger tree, won't make that much difference, more mass and water to lose. Make the same mistake with a tree in a teacup sized pot and the tree is a goner. Overfertilize a big tree a bit, the soil mass can probably handle it. Make a similar mistake with a small tree, you can kill it pretty efficiently as the soil hasn't got any buffer capacity to protect the roots. The list goes on. It takes vastly more skill to grow smaller trees well than large trees.

Last edited:
Top Bottom