In need of guidance, good enough material to style?

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Got this from a nursery several months ago, along with a few others. Finally in a house with a yard where my trees can get rain and full sunlight, I can FINALLY enjoy junipers and see some real growth in all of my trees. I did some cleaning, tried not to create a pom pom juni. Worked a couple jins, moved the branches just a little and let it go.

I just cleaned out quite a few shots in crotch areas, cleaned up some nubs... and I am struggling to "see the tree"

I know one problem area will be on the left, where the second branch splits. Its really "heavy" there and I was hoping to keep something but that "back" branch may have to go.

I finally have the means to give the little guys the resources they need so I would like to approach this one correctly aaaaand I need some help.

Attachments

• 20200425_145039.jpg
    20200425_145039.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20200425_145031.jpg
    20200425_145031.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 20200425_145054.jpg
    20200425_145054.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 62

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would personally wait until the juvenile foliage reverts back to scale. This'll help you in seeing what you can actually use in the future. If you would wire it now, or do more trimming, it'll probably go juvenile entirely and set you back a year.
I can see a tree in the first and last picture, but only if you're able to work the foliage back a little. I'd keep all the crotch growth and new shoots for now. Those might come in handy when you start cutting back closer to the trunk.

When making a future plan, I think it might be cool to envision that second left branch to be a jin, and bend the apex down to replace that branch. The long apical branch on the right hand side at the top, would be your new apex. Just an idea though.

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The first and last picture are what I thought of as a front (first picture) and the back (third picture) do you see one option working better than the other for a specific reason?

Edit: Actually... the more I see what I had planned to be the rear of the tree in the pictures I provided... the more I like the "flow" I had initially chosen the front based on the broken branch that I removed the bark off of when I originally got it. When viewed from my original idea for the front, the jin moves left and bends back on itself, so it ends up pointing over the viewers right shoulder. Kind of hard to see the movement in the pictures... beginning to like it less thinking maybe its a bit of an "eye poker"

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I would probably just let this one grow a couple years before "styling" it.

At least let it grow until the end of summer, then if you want, you can wire it.

There isn't much there right now. I would let it grow out, that way you have branches to actually choose from.

Top Bottom