In need of help with my Thyme Bonsai

JBaggy

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just recently started getting into the hobby and I really liked the look of thyme as a bonsai. I messaged four different sellers who all confirmed that thyme could be grown indoors, and countless web articles spoke about growing thyme indoors, so I went ahead purchased one that I liked the look of. However after further research I'm worried about growing it indoors due to lack of a dormancy period. Does anyone have any experience or input with this? I asked the seller following my purchase, and he simply told me not to worry about it.

I have no garden or balconies, hence the requirement to grow indoors. I am based in the North-East of the UK, and my current setup is by the window in a cold, south-facing room with some artificial LED spectrum lighting to supplement daylight (around 6-7 hours of direct daylight). Will this be sufficient for my thyme to remain healthy and alive? Failing that I would have to end up selling it.
Bonsai.jpg

Last edited:

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe that is a cone-head thyme. Pretty cool tree. I have several. I do not keep them inside so I can not be of much help. I have never heard of keeping them inside.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Sounds like your window sill could work. In winter the cold air coming off the glass may help with dormancy. In my much colder climate plants on drafty window sills can actually freeze, but I doubt that would happen in a modern building in your relatively mild UK climate.

Only way to know for sure is to try. Thyme is not a rare plant, no need to sell it. Give it a go, see what happens.

Top Bottom