In need of some advice with this Bald Cypress

DK!

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good morning all,

So I recently bought this BC in savannah and I think it's going to need some attention next year. My question is, what do you think I should do with it? First off, I believe it's a little too tall for its trunk size. Its sitting at roughly 46 inches tall and the nebari is about 8.5 inches. I was thinking a good height for it would be about 36 inches or so.

Also this tree is sitting in nursery tray right now. Apparently, It hasn't been reported for years... which has ultimately created big protruding roots and some small knees. My question is should I keep this rectangular shape when I repot, keep all the gnarly roots that are protruding, keeping a swampy type look to it or should I cut some of those roots away and put it in a smaller pot? If I kept the rectangular shape, or possibly oval, I have few smaller BC to choose from and I could add 1 tree to the scene in the open area adjacent to the tree.

I just dont know if I should leave the environment he created which I believe looks really cool or clean it up and go smaller, regarding both the height as well as a new pot. Thanks for any advice!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I don't think the tree is too tall. In fact, I can see a very graceful, feminine, informal flat top being formed with the existing branches and no chop, or at least only minimal shortening of the apex. With that in mind, I'd want to cut back the branches hard right now to induce some interior growth this season. The tree's biggest issue is the rootage. personally, I think all that surface root that doesn't directly attach to the trunk is distracting and I'd want it gone. With that in mind, I'd plan on bare rooting it next year at the appropriate time and give the roots a hard cut back, too, and reduce it down to something more simple and pleasing... my 0.02.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
+1 On what @Dav4 said and in my opinion I could see you reducing all of the surface roots and putting it into a round drum pot.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
What Dav4 said is pretty much what I would do. All of those surface roots look chaotic, the knee is worth keeping, just be careful when pruning the roots that you don't sever the root that it is growing from. I would not add any other trees, after you get it trimmed up for a repot, I don't think there will be room.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I love that tree. I think planting it about 1.5 to 2" deeper would make the base look a little more stable. Or maybe a lot more..

DK!

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for your input guys. I really appreciate it. I was thinking the same thing in regards to cleaning up the roots and putting it in a round pot that will ultimately be a little deeper. All the roots were just a little overwhelming for me but he was excited about them and I felt bad for thinking I should cut them back! You all confirmed my thoughts though so thank you.

By the way, I just wanted to plug Bonsai Beginnings just outside of Savannah. Bill has some amazing trees there that are all extremely well priced in my opinion. Especially his Scheffleras.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All the roots were just a little overwhelming for me but he was excited about them and I felt bad for thinking I should cut them back!
If it helps, I was in a similar place with a dwarf Japanese holly (Ilex crenata 'Dwarf Pagoda'). I purchased it for two primary reasons, a short thick trunk and some really cool (in my opinion) roots, but it was the roots that mostly drove me. After over a year of staring at it trying to figure out what to do, the light finally went on. The roots that I loved so much were actually taking away from the trees potential (fyi someone here suggested as much when I first got it, but I was not open to that idea at the time). It is now tucked away in a cool shady place recovering, and I hope to have something worth working on (maybe even showing off?) next year.
What I learned? Don't get hung up on one visually striking aspect at the expense of the overall design. But maybe most importantly, listen, really listen, to the advice you get here!

DK!

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for your story amat. And I agree with you in regards to listening to the folks on here... everyone here is very helpful and more knowledgeable then I'll ever be! I'm very thankful for this site and everyone on it.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good morning all,

So I recently bought this BC in savannah and I think it's going to need some attention next year. My question is, what do you think I should do with it? First off, I believe it's a little too tall for its trunk size. Its sitting at roughly 46 inches tall and the nebari is about 8.5 inches. I was thinking a good height for it would be about 36 inches or so.

Also this tree is sitting in nursery tray right now. Apparently, It hasn't been reported for years... which has ultimately created big protruding roots and some small knees. My question is should I keep this rectangular shape when I repot, keep all the gnarly roots that are protruding, keeping a swampy type look to it or should I cut some of those roots away and put it in a smaller pot? If I kept the rectangular shape, or possibly oval, I have few smaller BC to choose from and I could add 1 tree to the scene in the open area adjacent to the tree.

I just dont know if I should leave the environment he created which I believe looks really cool or clean it up and go smaller, regarding both the height as well as a new pot. Thanks for any advice!

View attachment 256648View attachment 256649View attachment 256650View attachment 256651View attachment 256652View attachment 256653View attachment 256654View attachment 256655
Good morning all,

View attachment 256648View attachment 256649View attachment 256650View attachment 256651View attachment 256652View attachment 256653View attachment 256654View attachment 256655
That
Good morning all,

Nice Bald Cypress!

Top Bottom