In training since the 1600s...

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Spent my birthday at the arboretum and exhibit in DC with the wife. So many beautiful trees, thought I'd see more larch, but this mega beast was insanely humbling. In training for ~400 years. #goals 😂

View attachment 457903

Cheers

This is an amazing Japanese white pine.
The picture doesn't do it justice. It is HUGE for a bonsai.

This tree survived Hiroshima because it was protected by a wall and was a gift from Japan to the United States for its 200th birthday.

Last edited:

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

This tree survived Hiroshima because it was protected by a wall and was a gift from Japan to the United States.
So that's the tree that survived the bomb. Crazy how much history that tree has seen.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

This tree survived Hiroshima because it was protected by a wall and was a gift from Japan to the United States for its 200th birthday.

Amazing, thanks for sharing!!

leus

Yamadori
Reaction score
The Yamaki Pine has developed well since it was imported to the U.S. at the arboretum--for the better. Images of it when it was imported back in '75--

Check this video at 11:40 or so and 21:38
That video is *so* interesting.

I'm particularly drawn into the soil they are using (around 9:05), it looks suspiciously like regular dirt to me, or at least very small and powdery akadama. Surely matter for a new sustrate war, methinks >:)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That video is *so* interesting.

I'm particularly drawn into the soil they are using (around 9:05), it looks suspiciously like regular dirt to me, or at least very small and powdery akadama. Surely matter for a new sustrate war, methinks >:)
Not really. It's likely akadama or some other volcanic sourced soil. Very different than "regular dirt" More porous, lighter, more durable and inorganic...

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The Yamaki Pine has developed well since it was imported to the U.S. at the arboretum--for the better. Images of it when it was imported back in '75--

Check this video at 11:40 or so and 21:38
I love that video. I wonder what joke the guy tells at 11:57.

"that's some major wood amirite?" *laughter*

Top Bottom