Incense cedar candelabra progression

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At what time of year do you chop the incense cedar? I have one I lifted from central CA mountains and I want to shorten it.
Late winter structural pruning and late spring refinement pruning have been working well in combination. It’d help to know your specific climate. I have mild winters with a short, Mediterranean (dry) growing season.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whelp I’m another round of fall pruning. If I have bad fungal issues in 2021 then I’ll know the cause 😉

0DB52DA4-7EAE-492C-A5F0-9A725FC103DF.jpeg

This was another round of wiring and pruning. I took off almost half the foliage as it was getting way too dense. The lower primary branches are wired. None of the secondary or upper branches are yet wired.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve allowed this tree to get way too tall but it remains healthy and the inner growths are viable and productive. I repotted it this year and I think it’ll do well with a heavy, late summer styling.

Jan 30:
1124309E-5FB4-4785-B3C0-C441C650C9F3.jpeg

Jan 31: (the foliage shows winter bronze)
C44655F5-3CD2-437A-94E1-0C22FB4FAE12.jpeg

I’m forgetting what I did to the tree last year. I might have adjusted some wire and replaced any that was biting in.

I think in the fall styling I’ll almost halve the height of the foliage, leaving dead tops that are jinned out. This species stores a lot of sap in the wood and remains moderately flexible, so I think the deadwood will remain good without much assistance.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It did well this year! Here it is June 23 after a heavy bit of pruning. I was wary I had gone too far so I let it recover without wire.
IMG_3149.jpeg

It responded very well! I need to get a fresh photo and to apply wire. I think I’m seeing late winter wiring is working well on this species.

Top Bottom