inch worms on my JBP

xghostx

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just noticed last night while watering that I had some odd looking needles and upon closer inspection I noticed a bunch of small green worms with a black head nibbling on my needles. I plucked off what I could see and gave the tree a good spraying and then applied some soap sollution. Just looking for feedback. As I did this without consulting. Im guessing they were baby inch worms and they dropped in from a nearby tree. Thanx.

Attachments

• IMG_1078.jpg
    IMG_1078.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1079.jpg
    IMG_1079.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 57

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Those may have been sawfly larvae, from what I can see in the second picture. I've found them every now and then on pines: they have a definite sweet tooth for pine needles.

Any insecticide for soft-bodied insects should work fine, I would think.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Those may have been sawfly larvae, from what I can see in the second picture. I've found them every now and then on pines: they have a definite sweet tooth for pine needles.

Any insecticide for soft-bodied insects should work fine, I would think.

Thats my first thought too.

xghostx

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I used the usual combo of 1 gallon of water to 1tbs dish soap, 1tbs neem, and two caps of alcohol. Thanx for the input everyone.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Definately sawfly larvae. I always removed them manually/with a blast of water. They sure loved my mugos, too