India visit

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea no idea what the bonsai scene is like in India. Try Googling bonsai shops in whatever cities you'll be near.

Sounds like an interesting trip, have fun

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How to import to New Zealand? Unique ecosystem and flora/fauna certainly not amiable to foreign invasive plant matter?

Or are you moving there? 🤔

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How to import to New Zealand? Unique ecosystem and flora/fauna certainly not amiable to foreign invasive plant matter?

Or are you moving there? 🤔
I was wondering the same thing.

You might want to check what the plant import regulations are in your country before buying some only to have it confiscated on reentry

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice!.....

I spent a lot of time with Indian Immigrants, and was even allowed to pray at private, household shrines (this is a HUGE privilege).

They video-chatted with their families and somewhat did walk-around tours...

They claim the larger cities are extremely Americanized.. and the people are more noticably rude there.

The life is happy and vibrant in the slums, you wouldn't think it, but it's the truth...

The caste system is ridiculous... Most of the people I spoke with were farmers, living in village slums outside of major cities...

These people's COUSIN, through marriage... Was of royal lineage, and came to American, shipped in the 'lower caste' cousins... seeking enough money to bring his family MORE fortune.

He know OWNS most prominent gas stations and convenience stores in a 100-mile radius....

Aaaanyways...

I am, also, quite jealous.

🤓

If done correctly, you will gain MUCH on your journey.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is apparently quite a bonsai "scene" in India. I've got Facebook bonsai groups with Indian members who post alot. Material is tropical (obviously), so moving to NZ might present some issues. Lots of ficus, including Bodhi Trees, etc.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is apparently quite a bonsai "scene" in India. I've got Facebook bonsai groups with Indian members who post alot. Material is tropical (obviously), so moving to NZ might present some issues. Lots of ficus, including Bodhi Trees, etc.

There are a few bonsai here that are fabulous, but I am a little surprised how many are just kind of so so for a National Exhibit. I have seen better work here on the nut. I am not a bonsai snob by any means, and I have tons of respect for Indian culture and history, but as nice as the park is, few of the bonsai shown here wow me.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No just visiting , will only be there a week
Vacation?
India is not considered by most people high on the list of vacation spots but it has always rated very highly on mine. From what I know it has a huge diversity of cultures, climates and scenarios that can be vastly different. I have certainly enjoyed my encounters with many of India's peoples ( except telemarketers) and have a deep appreciation for the people, their history and their culture. A week is only going to scratch the surface but I wish you a great visit and I am a bit envious.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are a few bonsai here that are fabulous, but I am a little surprised how many are just kind of so so for a National Exhibit. I have seen better work here on the nut. I am not a bonsai snob by any means, and I have tons of respect for Indian culture and history, but as nice as the park is, few of the bonsai shown here wow me.
I'm not surprised. Bonsai in India is not as mature as it is here, although it has a long history of "modern" bonsai. John Naka used to visit there on his travels and had students there. That was quite a while ago, however. Lots of factors, from economic to extremely challenging climate there.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Collect seeds! I went to India in 2011 and visited the mahabodhi tree. I collected seeds and planted them and kept them as house plants for many years. They are now bonsai

View attachment 454188
View attachment 454191

View attachment 454189
View attachment 454192
View attachment 454193

this is today:
View attachment 454194
View attachment 454197
View attachment 454195View attachment 454196
Wow very cool Ficus religiosas!!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No just visiting , will only be there a week

Again if you havent, you should check with your government's regulatons on plant imports.
New Zealand does have some requirements to ensure what you are bringing in doesnt carry diseases or insects

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Yeah those guys are hounds finding all that kind of stuff, you guys have seen the tv program Border Security Australia and New zealand? 🤣

Top Bottom